Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink V1.5 - 4-4 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: December 18
Launch Window: 4:41am PST (7:41am EST, 12:41 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - OCISLY
Booster: B1051-11
Fairings: Reused - 3rd and 4th use
Mass: 52 satellites at approx. 290 kg each - 15,080 kg (33,250 lbs)
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 31st batch of approximately 52 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink V1.5-L4-4. This will place the satellites into Shell #4.

This mission is launching to Shell #4 of Starlink's first generation (Gen1) constellation which is at an altitude of 560km and an orbital inclination of 53.2º which means it'll have to perform a dogleg maneuver.

These are the newest design satellites designated version 1.5.

Last edited:
Last time it was 51 satellites from Vandenburg…
It may be. I think there were two top secret military satellites on the last launch. They were mentioned in certain places and you could see certain signs that something was happening on the SpaceX timeline but nothing was mentioned officially. Maybe they cancelled those satellites before launch but they may have been the cause of a limited number of Starlink satellites. We'll find out with this launch. If they launch 51 here then we'll know that 51 is the new versions maximum capacity (Edit: max capacity in a polar launch perhaps - Thanks bxr140) for F9.

Last edited:
Um, how does that work? We’re the two polar sats really the first launch, the 51 the second launch and this the third? Or something else?
Something else. Apparently the launch two will happen on the East Coast and after this one. I have a lot of "hanging" launch threads where SpaceX has had a date, then pushed the launch much further in the future. So I'm avoiding creating launch threads until I am more certain of a date. So Starlink V1.5-L2 will be created when it becomes more sure of the place and time.

Something else. Apparently the launch two will happen on the East Coast and after this one. I have a lot of "hanging" launch threads where SpaceX has had a date, then pushed the launch much further in the future. So I'm avoiding creating launch threads until I am more certain of a date. So Starlink V1.5-L2 will be created when it becomes more sure of the place and time.
Are you thinking this month’s DART launch out of Vandy is also not solid?

Reactions: Grendal
New title and designation. These satellites will be going to the 4th shell. I don't think it is polar anymore but....
Right. I am now so confused I don’t know what to think.

Right. I am now so confused I don’t know what to think.

My guess is that an important client needs more assured capacity at the mid-inclinations (53deg). There's really only one client that has the requisite leverage to make that call. As to why they might need more, surely the map makes that obvious (imho).

(Biden knows full well that Musk is more important to the USA than Barra. Watch what they do, not what they say.)

Reactions: Grendal
1639792046354.png

• Informative
Reactions: 808? and Nikxice