Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Transporter 7 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch Date: April 14
Launch Window: 11:47pm PDT (2:47am EDT, 6:48 UTC both on the 15th)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California
Core Booster Recovery: RTLS - LZ-4
Booster: B1063.10
Fairings: Reused
Mass: 100 payloads at 5 metric tons
Orbit: SSO
Yearly Launch Number: 24

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Transporter 7 mission, a rideshare flight to a sun-synchronous orbit with numerous small microsatellites and nanosatellites for commercial and government customers. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will return to Landing Zone 4 at Vandenberg.

This launch will debut a new MVac nozzle extension design aimed at increasing cadence and reducing costs. This new nozzle extension is shorter and, as a result, the engine has a lower specific impulse and therefore performance. Due to this, it will only fly on missions that don't need Falcon 9's full performance capability.

10008137326_415b07e7f5_b.jpg

"SpaceX Falcon 9 1.1 Launch Sequence at Vandenberg AFB" by jurvetson is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Delayed until tomorrow:

"SpaceX is targeting no earlier than Tuesday, April 11 at 11:48 p.m. PT (06:48 UTC on April 12) for Falcon 9’s launch of the Transporter-7 mission to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. "

• Informative
Reactions: 808? and Grendal
SpaceX continues to amaze. They spent the first five years of the Falcon program increasing performance so that they could take on bigger and more lucrative missions. One mission, I remember, was originally purchased to fly on Falcon Heavy, and it got moved to an upgraded Falcon 9 since their performance had almost doubled by then.

And now, they are realizing cost savings since a lot of missions don’t need at the performance. There’s a limit to the number of rideshares they can book.

Reactions: Grendal
Is this the first time we’ve seen the shorter MVac nozzle?

I wonder why SpaceX bothers to manufacture a different nozzle? I understand that for this mission the performance of the standard size nozzle was not required. Is there a significant cost savings with the shorter nozzle?

From the looks, I'd say that the smaller nozzle uses around 1/3 the amount of niobium. So 2/3 savings on the price of the nozzle. The market price of niobium is $45 per kilogram. A google search does say that the nozzle is a niobium alloy.

4105129088_5e8a30a61c_b.jpg

FALCON-9-SECOND-STAGE-ENGINE-GLOW-OCTOBER-2022-3.png

• Love
Reactions: ICUDoc and ecarfan