Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Turksat 5B - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: December 18
Launch Window: 11:58pm EST (8:58pm PST, 04:58 UTC on the 19th)
Launch site: SLC-40 Cape Canaveral Space Force Station
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - ASOG
Booster: B1067-3
Fairings: Reused
Mass: 4,500kg (9900 lbs)
Orbit: GTO (Supersychronous)

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Turksat 5B communications satellite for Turksat, a Turkish satellite operator. Built by Airbus Defense and Space with significant Turkish contributions, the Turksat 5B satellite will provide broadband services over a wide coverage area, including Turkey, the Middle East and large regions of Africa.

SpaceX's 30th launch of the year if schedules remain as planned.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 808?
1639701566831.png

I find it interesting that they’ve got so few FH launches that they’re converting FH boosters. They are probably setting themselves up for a future when FH is obsolete, being replaced by Starship.
Actually, SpaceX made two new side boosters for the upcoming FH launches. There are possibly five or six FH launches planned for next year. At least two are planning to sacrifice the center core for direct insertion into GEO. I suppose the new FH side boosters have some newer feature that caused SpaceX to drop the old side boosters and convert them back to traditional F9s.

Maybe one or more of the center cores will be one of these old side boosters...

Reactions: Cosmacelf
FH center cores are custom build, structurally strengthened versions. I don't think F9/side boosters can be converted to CCs.
Yes. Good point. I was just speculating and forgot about that. I also had to correct the first post since they didn't use B1052 for this launch. Everything up until today was saying that was the one going to be used though.