TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: Orbcomm OG2, July 14, 2014 (finally!)

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by claytorj, Mar 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I've resisted using this before, but in light of the latest delay, I can't stop myself this time.

picard-facepalm2.jpg

2. freds

freds Member

Actually I love that they are scrubbing due to weather; we want them to recover the first stage and tow it into port and show that all the non firing engines could potentially be reused after a real soft landing!!!

As Elon stated 75% of the cost is in the first stage....

I do realize that they have launch pressure do to backed up payloads; but I do like what they are doing with their 30% reserve.

3. Lump

Lump Active Member

Russian submarine & tug boat snooping around again?

4. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Isn't the next launch attempt sometime today? Or no?

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Apparently no.

Spaceflight Now -- Falcon 9 launch for Orbcomm slips to first week of July

6. jdevo2004

jdevo2004 Member

Going to be a brand new rocket by the time they finish replacing all broken parts! That being said, I wonder how this bodes for reusability if a brand new rocket has this many problems.

7. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

*in a stoner voice* Just take out the sats, put in a stuffed Wile E. Coyote, and send it on it's way. Clear a path and light the fuse. We with you, man!

On that same ridiculous note, I just have to say that having a stuffed Wile Coyote either blow up on a real rocket or placed in orbit around the Earth would be strangely satisfying to me.

8. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Well...it's the first week of July. Anyone still following this?

I checked the OG2 website and it says this:

<quote>We are now targeting Monday, July 14th with Tuesday July 15th as a back-up for launch of ORBCOMM's OG2 Mission 1 pending approval from the Air Force Range</quote>

So...alrighty then. See ya in a couple more weeks. lol

9. rabar10

rabar10 Model 3 >> Focus Electric

The reason for the latest delay (from first-of-July to mid-July) is that the Air Force Range out at Cape Canaveral had a two-week downtime scheduled for this summer, which was originally supposed to be in June but was delayed / pushed back with the earlier SpaceX launch attempts. So they are taking the downtime now, and SpaceX/ORBCOMM have to wait until they are back and operational before trying to launch again.

10. clmason

clmason Member

There is also a category 2 hurricane off the Florida coast. If they were planning to launch they would likely delay until the weather passes.

11. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Orbcomms website now has a countdown for 3:20 PM CET on July 14th for the launch. So this will be a night launch for the US and nice and comfy for EU :) considering how many times I stayed up in the middle of the night it feels only fair ;)

12. jdevo2004

jdevo2004 Member

#72 jdevo2004, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
    Easy to confuse time zones but it will be a 9:20AM Eastern or 6:20AM Pacific launch time. It will be daylight in North America as well.

13. rabar10

#73 rabar10, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    (DST posts moved to their own thread: Daylight Saving Time)

Static Fire scheduled for today the 11th -- unsure of time or even if that is published any more. The launch window opens on Monday the 14th at 9:21 AM EDT, ~2.5-hour window, and the next possible date would be Wednesday the 16th. (All from the NSF forums)

14. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

15. rabar10

Static fire completed today per this NSF post - good stuff!

16. Mario Kadastik

Less than 20h to go, let's cross the fingers that this is the one :)

17. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

I think we need more than just fingers with all the issues this launch has had. :scared:

18. Mario Kadastik

I just hope they've used the time productively and have kept building cores so that the next launches that have all been pushed back so many months can now come all in row as otherwise the 14 launches or smth that was planned for this year are going to be veeery hard to achieve even at 75% level ...

19. rabar10

20. Mario Kadastik

*sigh* and the launch has been postponed to the end of the launch window, which seems to indicate that there is some trouble, wouldn't be surprised if it's aborted and shifted to day after tomorrow. Only info so far from OG2 launch website:
    • Our schedule for this morning’s OG2 Mission 1 launch has been pushed to 11:44 am ET today, Monday, July 14. Additional updates will be posted shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, official SpaceX update seems to indicate it was a ground system that caused the delay and has been cleared now. So the launch is going to happen at the new time. As I will be in a cinema by then, then I'll not be able to see it ... would be nice if someone recorded it and uploaded it to youtube unless the new live streaming service by youtube means that it'll automatically get a youtube posting as well.

Launch Update

The ORBCOMM OG2 launch is currently targeted for liftoff on Monday, July 14, 2014 at 11:44am ET. A live launch webcast will begin here at approximately 11:25am EDT. Out of an abundance of caution, the team took some extra time this morning to look at a potential ground systems issue; we have resolved any concern there and are moving forward with the countdown with a new T-0 of 11:44am.