Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: Orbcomm OG2, July 14, 2014 (finally!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August... not sure when in August though. If we're lucky, we'll get Asiasat 8 and 6 very closely followed by CRS-4 in Sept.

http://spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

This is a nice one:

Jan. 13 Falcon 9 • DSCOVR
Launch time: TBD
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Deep Space Climate Observatory for the U.S Air Force, NOAA and NASA. DSCOVR will be positioned in geostationary orbit to monitor space weather and Earth's climate. [May 16]

Latest on the data from the landing

tweet.PNG

Hmm...what does that mean? Any waves generated by the thrusters during landing should be pushed away from the rocket, I would think.

The only thing I can figure from that is when it lands it is pushing out waves from the bottom center, as it falls over then, the length of the rocket might catch up with the waves made by initial splash and thus cause it to be hit by them.

Just a guess... I think the key takeaway is that if they land on land then this won't be an issue. I would love to get an update on the accuracy of their targeted landing. How close were they to hitting their target landing site?

So, no video for this one... Was Elon's Falcon (the jet version) busy?
No, it was on-site (as was NASA's plane) for the first-stage reentry and 'landing'. But nothing has been released.

JMO: The first recovered video was enough to prove supersonic retro-propulsion, stage control, landing leg deployment, and soft touchdown. Very little PR benefit in releasing any more until it can end with "and here's the reclaimed stage!"

I love the video for this because it shows the reentry from way up in the atmosphere and then again just before landing. The question is, what caused the icing over of the camera this time vs the last time? Did it pass through a cloud or something? What would they do to prevent it? Put like a heating element around the lens to keep it defrosted?

Either way, love the video!

I love the video for this because it shows the reentry from way up in the atmosphere and then again just before landing. The question is, what caused the icing over of the camera this time vs the last time? Did it pass through a cloud or something? What would they do to prevent it? Put like a heating element around the lens to keep it defrosted?

Either way, love the video!

I'm no expert, but is the product of LOX/RP1 not CO2 and H2O? Probably hard to avoid all that water flying back up into the camera as the re-entry burn is happening.