Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: SES-8, 2013-12-3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. Schedule is early evening and clear skies forecast. If all goes as planned it will be easily visible from here (we've seen the shuttle go up at night from here and it's pretty cool).

We were outside last night twice waiting for a lift off. Might go to Arcadia for a better view if the next one looks good. :smile: We watched the shuttle go up a few times, looked like it was about five miles away, also heard it come back a few times, double sonic BOOMS.

We were outside last night twice waiting for a lift off. Might go to Arcadia for a better view if the next one looks good. :smile: We watched the shuttle go up a few times, looked like it was about five miles away, also heard it come back a few times, double sonic BOOMS.

Heh, first time we heard the boom we didn't realize it was from the shuttle and thought something had exploded; rattled the windows.

[/OT]

Please excuse my ignorance, but why is there a launch window to reach geostationary transfer orbit?
I understand the celestial mechanics involved in flying to the moon, other planets, or orbiting the sun. But earth orbit shouldn't be a moving target.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why is there a launch window to reach geostationary transfer orbit?
I understand the celestial mechanics involved in flying to the moon, other planets, or orbiting the sun. But earth orbit shouldn't be a moving target.

Good question. I don't know the answer, but I will hazard a guess. The satellite will need to end up at a certain spot in geostationary orbit to be over the right part of the earth and avoid the other geostationary satellites. This may explain the 1 hour launch window. However, I have no idea why the next window is 3 days out instead of the next day.

GSP

Good question, had to research a bit to get the answer. I believe it's to guarantee a consistent solar illumination/angle for the payload once the fairing is jettisoned and the spacecraft is deployed, for power-generation and thermal purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

However, I have no idea why the next window is 3 days out instead of the next day.
This has more to do with the Thanksgiving holiday and flight-disruptions than anything else, I suspect. The days immediately before/after Thanksgiving are among the most busy for US commercial airlines, and disrupting typical flight paths by launching a rocket would just add to the stress/complexity for pilots and ATCs.

T-minus 20min
Looks like more like t-5min for webcast... I'm waiting impassionately.

- - - Updated - - -

Webcast started!

- - - Updated - - -

Just want to say, this is very important launch for SpaceX. Not just first GEO entry for SpaceX(think $$$), but also a very important entry for competing for government contracts - SpaceX had to launch 3 successful launches, two of them is in succession. With first one launched in Sep 29, 2013...

PS. It was freaking awful to hear that "hold hold hold" audio last time. Good luck SpaceX this time!!!

- - - Updated - - -

OMG!

- - - Updated - - -

abort after firing first stage...

T+00.00.02 on webcast
gigi.gif

But this was one major safety feature of SpaceX launchers - no other launch vehicle on the market could abort launch AFTER engines were ignited, except SpaceX ones.
shuffle.gif

- - - Updated - - -

It's actually cool that they can abort after ignition.
Yep - plus looks like they resetting/recycling vehicle for tonight!

- - - Updated - - -
no other launch vehicle on the market could abort launch AFTER engines were ignited

Just to clarify - after any solid fuel booster been ignited there is no way to shut that engine until it burn all of it fuel.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, might be Delta IV could have this ability... Anyhow, not hearing "hold hold hold" this time was exciting!!! GL on this attempt SpaceX!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Here the video of fail,

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to explain: SES willing to extend launch window is a strong vote of confidence in SpaceX. SES do not have a plane to catch. If ses-8 would be launched today or tomorrow or one or two months after today do not make a difference for SES. But it might have SOME(little) difference for SpaceX. Many are watching this launch. And it is important for SpaceX. Not so much for SES - SES-8 is fully(almost) covered by insurance. Anyhow one of the biggest customers around showing confidence in SpaceX is great.

- - - Updated - - -

F!!!