Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: SES-8, 2013-12-3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good explanation. Basically SpaceX is looking into root cause of what caused first launch abort after engines ignition and since the team was not sure/felt like they need more time to review the data - SpaceX decided to postpone launch attempt till tomorrow at least.

We need the ability to watch launches on our touchscreen, it would have been awesome watching the launch today while driving on the big screen instead we had to watch on our iPhones. I realize this won't be possible because it requires Flash but it would have been pretty cool.

Untitled.jpg

SpaceX - Google+ - LAUNCH UPDATE: Thursdays abort was caused by oxygen in the…

LAUNCH UPDATE: Thursday's abort was caused by oxygen in the ground side igniter fluid (TEA-TEB). Rocket engines are healthy, but cleaning turbopump gas generators will take another day. Earliest possible launch attempt is Monday evening.

So they figured out the root cause of why engines built up thrust slower then expected, ignition liquid got contaminated. Next attempt would be on Monday.

Last edited:
Successful launch so far. I noticed a first stage burn after separation. While not officially trying for a test of the reusability I'll bet that SpaceX does run a few small tests to practice for a later official test.

This is a hell of a day for Elon Musk. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Flight Update

Falcon 9 and SES-8 satellite currently in parking orbit, awaiting second burn. All systems nominal.

I noticed the same and immediately came here to see if anyone knows of the plan. Very interesting..

Probably while contract do not directly allow such thing, SpaceX is on such a good term with SES that they authorized SpaceX to perform first stage burn. Extending launch window by 20 sec was a huge vote of confidence in SpaceX by SES during last launch attempt. So they most likely on a very good terms atm.

- - - Updated - - -

SpaceX ‏@SpaceX 57s

#Falcon9 second stage restart burn successful. Orbit looks nominal.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats everyone!

Ok, lets wait for satellite deployment confirmation, but 99% of risks are retired atm...

- - - Updated - - -

Talulah Riley ‏@TalulahRiley 2m

Separation confirmed -- perfect mission. Was amazing to witness. One of the best #Falcon9 #thirdtimesthecharm #phew

I noticed the same and immediately came here to see if anyone knows of the plan. Very interesting..

SpaceX was probably testing for what failed in the last test. This launch and the next were contracted before reusability was a SpaceX priority. The contracts do not have any test wording put into them so SpaceX decided the flights would go off without any official testing. Once they had a successful burn and there was no possibility of failure then I have no doubt some testing did occur.

A trifecta of wins for Elon today! I'm very happy for him. He probably increased his wealth by a billion today too.

Awesome. Great day for Elon! He definitely earned good news for a change.
Now we will just have to wait for SES*8 to adjust its orbit and get to 22,300ish miles over the equator. Will take close to two weeks.
Five burns of the satellite's on-board liquid-fueled engine are required with the first orbital maneuver by SES*8 is expected sometime on Thursday.

They've said they weren't going to be able to have any reserve fuel to relight the main engines on descent, but they were still going to have whatever RCS was left over and control of the vehicle to get some data on the way back down unpowered. I haven't gone back and re-watched yet, but that's what it looked like to me at first glance, just a couple of RCS puffs to re-orient the stage.