Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: SES-8, 2013-12-3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
(mod note: started a dedicated launch thread by moving some posts from the main SpaceX thread here)

SpaceX targeting Nov. 25 Falcon 9 launch from Cape

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20131113/SPACE/131113013/SpaceX-targeting-Nov-25-Falcon-9-launch-from-Cape

"In addition to begin the first Florida launch of the taller, more powerful Falcon 9, after a test flight from California, the mission is also SpaceX’s first launch of a commercial communications satellite to geosynchronous transfer orbit about 22,000 miles above the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if there are any secondary objectives? I'd guess reignition of first stage and attempted propelled landing is one. Was this the one that's supposed to go already with retractable landing gear?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, seems no re-entry test for this one. From wikipedia:

Elon Musk stated that Falcon 9 Flight 10, in 2014, will be the next attempt to recover a first stage.[SUP][67][/SUP]

This is flight 7 so we'll have three ordinary launches. But it would be interesting to know if they plan to do some extra curricular stuff with the orbiter after delivery of the payload. I think the 6th flight non-official tertiary goal was to re-ignite the second stage and send it to a lunar orbit?

No secondary objective for SES-8 Nov. 25 NET. It's going to take the full capability of the rocket to put this satellite in Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit. The real question is whether the second stage will relight properly. It didn't do so on the first Falcon 9 V1.1 flight.

The next Falcon 9 v1.1 will be delayed 3 days to November 25th:

SpaceX’s 1st Commercial Comsat Launch Slips Three Days | SpaceNews.com

The second commercial launch to GSO will come right on the heels of this launch: December 20th.

JRods post# 787 article says that neither of these launches will test reusability because of the contracts. The next test will happen on the ISS resupply run in Jan/Feb.

Last edited:
Let's hope it works this time because that's the last shot for today. The 66 minute window runs out at 6:43 eastern, which is 13 minutes after current T-0, they'd never have time anymore to recycle.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold called... I guess that's it for today then or can they still continue the countdown from where it is at right now in which case they still have ~9 minutes.

Let's hope it works this time because that's the last shot for today. The 66 minute window runs out at 6:43 eastern, which is 13 minutes after current T-0, they'd never have time anymore to recycle.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold called... I guess that's it for today then or can they still continue the countdown from where it is at right now in which case they still have ~9 minutes.

It took 20 minutes to recycle the previous countdown, so I'm guessing we're done for tonight and the launch is scrubbed.