Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: Thaicom 6, Jan 6 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lady at the desk, during the podcast, mentioned that the turnaround is currently 6 hours and that their goal is 1 hour!!!

I thought she said that was for prepping the rocket. It's currently six hours to move it out and get it in position, but they'd like to get that down to 1 hour. I could be wrong but that was what I remember.

I can't imagine a need for getting a second rocket on the same pad in an hours time. If that was what you meant. Even with reusability, I wouldn't see the need for such a quick reuse of the same launch pad. They have lots of others nearby and if the need was there, then they could be used.

- - - Updated - - -

True expertise usually ends up making it look easy. And wasn't this still the fastest turnaround of a launch pad?

SpaceX stats (.com) said this was the fastest turnaround for SpaceX flights with slightly less than 34 days between them. CRS-3 is currently scheduled for 45 days from now according to the same site.

I thought she said that was for prepping the rocket. It's currently six hours to move it out and get it in position, but they'd like to get that down to 1 hour. I could be wrong but that was what I remember.

That is the correct reverence to the 6hrs preparation time.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, these guys are making it look easy. Nicely done, and keep up the great work!

Considering all the delays and issues the previous launch had, it did look way easy this time. Almost anti-climatic that they just counted down and off it went.

Favorite picture of this launch:
fave_pic.jpg

And another from Walter Scriptunas II

Anyone notice how the rocket swayed to and from as the "strongback" started retracting at T-00:04:28?

Also, the umbilical cable got tangled and snagged during the retraction, and I think contributed to tugging the entire rocket for a moment. Luckily it freed itself! Wonder if the whole thing would've toppled over :)

On the video it's at 34:40 for about a minute. Watch the area marked by my arrow. Watch carefully that area, and you'll be able to see clearly how the rocket starts rocking back and forth on the launch pad for like a minute, finally settling down!

f9.jpg

Here's the video again, hopefully set to start at 34:40 (dunno if this message forum software will honor that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Those big tubes are air conditioning ducts for the payload, and are released before any ill effects if get stuck, as seen in first SES-8 launch attempt. And 68 meter long launch vehicle's 6cm "swing" at the top, in high wind condition, is practically meaningless...