Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch w/ Dragon: CRS-3 4/18/2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm scheduled to donate on March 13th. The sample then gets FedExed or similar to Florida, prepped, and then put in the Dragon refrigerated storage for launch on the 16th. If there's a last minute slip, then they may use fresher samples from one of the backup groups.

I originally was scheduled to donate yesterday for a Feb 22nd launch. They had me go ahead an do that for a dry run. It's an apheresis donation, so I can give again after a week, but a slip of just a few days occurring within a few days of the expected launch means they use the a backup group. So hopefully there won't be any last minute delays. And hopefully I don't get cloned by aliens.

Nah you are going to get cloned when a catastrophic event happens on earth and those samples are all that is left of the human race! Your clone will go on to populate mars so Humans can continue to exist. It's the inevitable outcome...

Mounting landing legs (~60 ft span) to Falcon 9 for next month's Space Station servicing flight.
A water landing but still very exciting.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/437761896028975104/photo/1
Falcon nine with legs.PNG

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch w/ Dragon: CRS-3 2014-03-16

Mounting landing legs (~60 ft span) to Falcon 9 for next month's Space Station servicing flight.
A water landing but still very exciting.

I can't wait to see video of a Falcon 9 landing on its legs. Reminds me of some space ships from the TV show Doctor Who. There were some Rhino-like alien space police that used them.

I can't wait to see video of a Falcon 9 landing on its legs. Reminds me of some space ships from the TV show Doctor Who. There were some Rhino-like alien space police that used them.

Judoon, apparently. I think more of Thunderbirds. Wait a minute, SpaceX are tryig to fly a reusable rocket to a space station, want to hot swap a large, heavy object from the middle of the Model S, and Elon Musk bought the James Bond Lotus and wants to make it submersible...

Thanks. Yeah I see it now. I was thrown by the change in color and orientation.

9848223155_b4830d3903_c.jpg

According to Jurvetson:
One of four landing legs for the new SpaceX rocket, with a huge carbon fiber layup and hydraulic ram. During liftoff, it lies flush against the body, and then acts as an air brake on the return.

In later missions, the Shuttle SRBs had on board cameras that ran from liftoff to splashdown. I'd love to see continuous video taken from this F9 first stage.

Last edited:
Static Fire of the leggy Falcon 9 v1.1 for CRS-3 Dragon is technically scheduled for today at 1PM EST.

But seeing as there haven't been any sightings at the Cape of the rocket rolled out to the pad and taken vertical, the static fire has most likely been delayed due to winds or weather.

NasaSpaceFlightForum: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS-3 SpX-3 PROCESSING/Pre-LAUNCH UPDATES (specific posts re: static fire)

EDIT: 24-hour delay confirmed, Static Fire now set for Saturday the 8th at 1PM EST.

When it does happen can you see if someone gets some video or pictures of it? I would love to see it :)