Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch w/ Dragon: CRS-3 4/18/2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sewing Machine potentially caused CRS-3 Dragon contamination:

A sewing machine, used to stitch the cloth shields that are used to protect payloads in Dragon’s trunk, is understood to be the root cause of the “oil lubricate contamination” that resulted in a postponement to the CRS-3/SpX-3 mission to the International Space Station (ISS)

However, on Friday, SpaceX noted they had cleared the potential of the stains outgassing in a vacuum – which could have been a threat to the optics on two of Dragon’s payloads..

nasaspaceflight sewing-machine-contamination

Also:

“We were working four issues,” noted Ms. Shotwell. “We were struggling on some data transfer buffering with Houston. We wanted a little more time to work with the Range on trajectory (relating to re-entry and landing of the first stage). My operations crew was in a time crunch for Dragon, which is a very new Dragon.

“Finally, we did notice stains on the impact shielding – which looks like a blanket – inside the Dragon trunk. So it was the combination of those four things that resulted in our thinking we need to step back and that we do everything we can to make this mission successful and go work these issues.”

Last edited:
I'm thinking about driving down there. But taking off Monday on short notice might not work out. Night launches are pretty amazing, and they are scheduled for 10:49 pm launch now.

Not sure how viewing of the landing segment will work out though.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap, forgot my dog got some stitches on Saturday, probably shouldn't leave her at home. So probably not coming. I'll still see if I can work things out.

Whoever goes, I would love some amateur video! Especially if someone is able to get video tracking of the water landing, but it might be too far offshore to get a good shot of it. I just get the feeling that unless someone private does it we might never get the footage since all we got the last time was the single picture shot of it with the booster re-engaged.

Seriously, I will pay like 20$ to whoever can get it :p

Whoever goes, I would love some amateur video! Especially if someone is able to get video tracking of the water landing, but it might be too far offshore to get a good shot of it. I just get the feeling that unless someone private does it we might never get the footage since all we got the last time was the single picture shot of it with the booster re-engaged.

Seriously, I will pay like 20$ to whoever can get it :p

If it actually launches at 10:45pm all you will get is a giant fireball on a black background in the video. With some noise for audio. If I go, I'll get a phone video of it. But I doubt it will be worth much.

If it actually launches at 10:45pm all you will get is a giant fireball on a black background in the video. With some noise for audio. If I go, I'll get a phone video of it. But I doubt it will be worth much.

Good point... here is hoping for a delay until 8AM the following morning :p

To that point, how will they know if the leg deployment was a success, and such? Just telemetry data?

Good point... here is hoping for a delay until 8AM the following morning :p

To that point, how will they know if the leg deployment was a success, and such? Just telemetry data?

They've also had cameras on previous flights. And there's the people who'll be in the area of the totally successfully splashdown who'll be able to record everything. :p

Last edited:
Do I get it right that this is a delay not by SpaceX, but by the Cape infrastructure. Any clues as to if this is SpaceX infrastructure at Cape or something else?

If you are unable to click my questionable links, here is a quote:

"A problem with the U.S. Air Force AN/MPS-39 Multiple Object Tracking Radar (MOTR) at the Eastern Range, reportedly a fire, has delayed the launch of the National Reconnaissance Office's NROL-67 launch and now unofficially SpaceX's launch of the CRS-3 resupply mission to the International Space Station."

http://spaceref.biz/military-space/...delays-nrol-67-and-spacex-crs-3-launches.html

Estimates how long Multiple Object Tracking Radar is offline, vary by source 15 to 45 days. But also:

"The new date is subject to change, ... they are looking at an alternative, vehicle specific, solution in association with the Range capabilities, which may allow them to be ready for the second week in April."

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/03/eastern-range-radar-upcoming-launches/

Last edited:
Sorry HVM I don't know why I had thought you quoted all of the relevant parts of the article already and hence didn't click on it, my bad :) I don't consider nasaspaceflight questionable at all, have even been contemplating L2 access, but not quite gotten there yet. But thanks again and I did read now the full article as well, so an ULA flight was delayed as well and the whole delay may come to 45+ days? That'd suck a lot.