TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SpaceX Factory tour

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by artsci, Jun 16, 2015.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm going from TMC Connect to LA and would love to do a spaceX factory tour. I know that they're not open to the public but I'm curious how these are arranged. I'll be at the Kennedy Space Center so see a launch later this month and it would be great to see the rockets under construction in Hawthorne.

2. WarrenInCA

WarrenInCA Member

SpaceX is such a cool place. I'm been to the supercharger at SpaceX twice and there is always so much activity going on. Would like to get a photo op with Elon too.

3. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

Everyone that I know that's gotten a tour has arranged it through someone they know that's an employee at SpaceX.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Anyone? Free front or rear lighted T for the tour:)

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Maybe things have changed, but it's pretty difficult to arrange a tour at SpaceX. I've managed it for one person about a year ago, but I pulled in a lot of goodwill chits to make it happen. (And I haven't had a tour, because of the hassle of arranging.) As noted by banahogg, your best bet is if someone from SpaceX helps arrange.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

#6 gg_got_a_tesla, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    @artsci, you may have seen this (from years ago):

Good luck with getting a tour! That'd be quite a sight, I'm sure.

By the way, how does SpaceX get the rockets over to Cape Canaveral? Some specially modified plane like the Dreamlifter?!

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks gg and Bonnie. Elon's video tour may be the closest I get:)

8. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

#8 ggr, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    The other way to get a tour is to get an interview. That's also pretty difficult, both to get it to happen and to go through it :). I will just say that the factory is much more crowded now than in the video tour.

The boosters are transported by road the entire way. The circumference is constrained, IIRC, by the greatest width that can make it through all the curves and bridges and tight places.

9. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yep, you need to know someone who works at SpaceX for a tour. I got one being a friend of someone who was friends of an executive there. Most awesome tour ever. They literally had engineering stations on steel catwalks, that's how 3D the place felt. It was packed to the rooftop with activity.

10. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Moved some off-topic posts here.

gg, thanks for re-posting that video. Still interesting even though it sounds like the factory is now much more busy and crowded.