Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Factory tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going from TMC Connect to LA and would love to do a spaceX factory tour. I know that they're not open to the public but I'm curious how these are arranged. I'll be at the Kennedy Space Center so see a launch later this month and it would be great to see the rockets under construction in Hawthorne.

Maybe things have changed, but it's pretty difficult to arrange a tour at SpaceX. I've managed it for one person about a year ago, but I pulled in a lot of goodwill chits to make it happen. (And I haven't had a tour, because of the hassle of arranging.) As noted by banahogg, your best bet is if someone from SpaceX helps arrange.

@artsci, you may have seen this (from years ago):

Good luck with getting a tour! That'd be quite a sight, I'm sure.

By the way, how does SpaceX get the rockets over to Cape Canaveral? Some specially modified plane like the Dreamlifter?!

The other way to get a tour is to get an interview. That's also pretty difficult, both to get it to happen and to go through it :). I will just say that the factory is much more crowded now than in the video tour.

The boosters are transported by road the entire way. The circumference is constrained, IIRC, by the greatest width that can make it through all the curves and bridges and tight places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you need to know someone who works at SpaceX for a tour. I got one being a friend of someone who was friends of an executive there. Most awesome tour ever. They literally had engineering stations on steel catwalks, that's how 3D the place felt. It was packed to the rooftop with activity.

Hi,

I am viewing from Australia and am unable to watch the youtube video. It says its private. Sometimes we have issues relating to viewing international videos. Is it possible to repost the video so that it is available internationally.
Thanks

Some final clarification.

Barring unlikely avenues such as a job interview or Tesla referral contest prize, you can only get a tour at Hawthorne if you are friends with or family of an employee. SpaceX tends to crack down on non-friend/family tours. In addition, tours are possible for non-U.S. citizens, but they're a hassle. Be sure to let the tour guide know to plan the tour months in advance, if possible.

Tours are usually Friday/Saturday/Sunday, from 4:30PM onwards. Good luck!