Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT 1st reuse launch - SES-10 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Dad and I went to see the launch. We were at the famous Banana Creek viewing area at Kennedy. Here's a video taken with my Iphone if anyone is interested what it looked and sounded like from there. Sorry it wasn't done with better equipment, maybe next time.

It's a great video. I love the huge crowd experiencing the launch. Who was doing the voice over? Someone nearby, someone from NASA, or someone from Banana Creek? Your video gave it the personal touch that the official videos sometimes lack. Thanks for sharing.

I expect the aluminum was actually burning.

I looked it up and aluminum does have a very low burning and melting point. It's been mentioned that the fire retardant coating was what we saw burning off for the brief moment the boosters video stayed up. However, there was another 30 seconds after that moment of intense friction generating more heat. SpaceX, as Elon mentioned, will need to get a lot better at a fire retardant paint or coatings if they don't want to be recoating or repainting a booster after every landing. This was a hot landing but it seemed the new coating did not do as well as boosters with an unused fresh coating.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My Dad and I went to see the launch. We were at the famous Banana Creek viewing area at Kennedy. Here's a video taken with my Iphone if anyone is interested what it looked and sounded like from there. Sorry it wasn't done with better equipment, maybe next time.
Thanks I enjoyed it. A different angle, a different perspective. Everything what we have seen so far are closeup from the booster or 2nd stage. Seeing from the ground till MECO is cool.

Reactions: Electricfan
Who was doing the voice over? Someone nearby, someone from NASA, or someone from Banana Creek? .

They had a local "expert" answering questions for a couple of hours before the launch. They tried to pipe in the SpaceX audio feed when it got close to launch time but had problems and only got it working at the very last minute - maybe it was right after liftoff. Another confusing thing is that I think the audio from the SpaceX feed was delayed, so the rocket was a little further along than the SpaceX audio.

Someone asked him during the Q&A before the launch, why did they end the shuttle program? His answer surprised me, being right there on the NASA grounds, because he said one reason was that they lost 2 of 5 shuttles, and in the end they were just not a safe vehicle. I was surprised NASA would admit that. He listed many other reasons - cost of a billion dollars per launch, etc., so the "unsafe" comment wasn't the primary reason.

I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to ask, where is B1021 now?

B1022 is still sitting at the Cape awaiting NASA doing something with it.
Anytime you want to find some information on a core and usually the latest details about a core, you want to go to:
cores - spacex
This is located in the SpaceX abbreviations and shortcut pinned thread. Which has all sorts of useful SpaceX data and data links.
Space(X) Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Data Links

• Informative
Reactions: ls7corvete and TEG