Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - CRS-12 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch date: Aug. 10
Launch time: 1807 GMT (2:07 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: Cape Canaveral, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 14th Dragon spacecraft on the 12th operational cargo delivery mission to the International Space Station. The flight is being conducted under the Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA. Delayed from Dec. 15, 1st Quarter, April 8 and June 1. [June 22]

It looks like the launch scheduling sites are leaving the launch location open in case SpaceX gets SLC-40 back up for this one. For now, the anticipated launch site is LC-39A though. It is also possible that the downtime will allow for the upgrade to Block 4 for this launch.

Unless something very strange occurs this will be a RTL for the booster.

SpaceX CRS-12 - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Any hint why? (I could search myself, but don't do facebook, so you're my conduit...)

Sure. :) It looks like NASA re-prioritized the following launch in place of the CRS-12 August 10th launch:

Atlas 5 • TDRS M
Launch window: NET August 10
Launch site: SLC-41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket, designated AV-074, will launch the TDRS M communications and data relay satellite for NASA. The Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS) connects mission control with the International Space Station and other orbiting satellites. The rocket will fly in the 401 vehicle configuration with a four-meter fairing, no solid rocket boosters and a single-engine Centaur upper stage.

Here's an article on it:
TDRS-M given priority over CRS-12 Dragon as launch dates realign | NASASpaceFlight.com

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Making us SpaceX fans wait another 4 days during the current Falcon launch "drought"! Oh the agony...I got spoiled with the plethora of recent launches.

The tragedy will be if there is a storm going through on the 14th. The article mentions that there will be a big delay if SpaceX doesn't launch on the 14th or 15th. The Russians are sending their cargo and it will block SpaceX from launching for a while. If that happens then we may get a repeat of the East/West coast back to back launches. Formosat 5 out of Vandenberg is tentatively scheduled for the 24th.

I prefer a nice two week pacing of launches rather than a bunch of them at once and then a long drought.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Okay, if there are no more delays or issues:

Aug. 14 - Falcon 9 • SpaceX CRS 12
Launch time: 1631 GMT (12:31 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 14th Dragon spacecraft on the 12th operational cargo delivery mission to the International Space Station. The flight is being conducted under the Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA. The Falcon 9 rocket’s first stage will return to landing at Cape Canaveral few minutes after liftoff. Delayed from Dec. 15, 1st Quarter, April 8, June 1 and Aug. 10. Moved up from Aug. 14. Delayed from Aug. 13. [Aug. 9]

The static fire will happen tomorrow, Thursday.

Reactions: jkn