Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - Inmarsat 5 F4 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technically, the Russians have been chucking spent hardware into Kazakhstan and Siberia all this time, not into the oceans. o_O

Rumor has it the hardware goes to good use being repurposed for Kazakh shacks and stuff, so you could make an argument that the Russians were into reusing rocket parts long before Elon came along. :rolleyes:

Sometime in the future Russian shack scrap hardware may become harder to find. In a nod to SpaceX the Russian's are now seriously considering developing their own rocket reuse program. This is a fairly recent turn. Following article was published just a few weeks ago..
Russia: Maybe reusing rockets isn’t a crazy capitalist idea after all

Another amazing thing in these figures is the shock and awe of Saturn V. Those things were nuts and flew half a century ago, designed with tracing paper, sweat and lots of smarts. Also, hand welded F-1 rocket nozzles. Respect!
... not to mention, slide rules.
And I agree - still in awe of the Saturn V, all these decades later.

Speaking of awesome, OT but.... just came across this LEGO Saturn V (!)

Space X posted on twitter:

C_j_soYUAAAk5OM.jpg

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Grendal, what is the schedule time of this launch?

Launch window: 2320-0010 GMT (7:20-8:10 p.m. EDT)

Sunset in Florida for tomorrow is 8:00 PM. So we should have a very pretty evening launch if it happens as scheduled. Too bad there is no landing since it would have also been a pretty pre-sunset landing. Maybe they'll get some cool video of a fairing recovery with this one. They haven't shared any of those attempts with enthusiasts yet. Maybe they're waiting on the bouncy castle for that...

Last edited:
It looks like there will be a slight delay. The launch is still solid and weather great.

Edit: The webcast has begun. So the delay may only be 1 minute.

SpaceX has compressed the launch time. So the company is speeding up the launch process.

Last edited:
I can't believe no one has posted this, but...at about 9 minutes into the SpaceX webcast, for about a minute there is a continuous view of the Hawthorne mission control room, and someone who looks a lot like Elon is sitting at a station in the front row just to the left of two guys.

I don't recall seeing him shown in that control room during a launch live webcast. I have seen a brief clip of him in that room, in closeup, looking up at the big screens, the clip is in a montage of SpaceX clips.