Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - CRS-10 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome picture from my colleague Thomas Pesquet ;-)

C5Wv0GBWYAAhO0a.jpg:large

(This post is tangentially related to the thread topic...)

When I was watching the CRS-10 post-launch press conference last week someone on the panel (I think it was SpaceX Dragon Mission Manager Jessica Jensen?) mentioned that it would be possible to see the ISS and the Dragon together from Earth before the Dragon was docked. I went to International Space Station and found the date/times for my location but unfortunately cloud cover prevented me from seeing anything.

So I made a note of the next sighting opportunity for me, which was at 0609 today when the ISS would appear at 10 degrees above the SW horizon and be visible for 8 minutes. From my house I can't see that low to the horizon in that direction, but at about 0610 my wife and I were treated to the site of the ISS moving across the completely clear sky!

We were amazed at how bright it was and how fast it moved. Yes, I know the ISS speed is about 17,150mph but still it is stunning to see because it seems to move faster than just about any plane I have ever seen unless it is close to takeoff or landing (I live a few miles from SFO and am used to seeing jet planes at low altitudes). When I first sighted it today as it rose above the horizon it was significantly brighter than Venus which as it happened was also visible to the SW. As the ISS arced overhead at 80 degrees above the horizon towards the NW it gradually grew dimmer.

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that this morning was the first time in my life that I had ever see the ISS in "real life". From now on I am going to make the effort to try and see the ISS and Dragon as they orbit just before docking.

Sorry for not being clearer. The first paragraph of my post tries to explain that I attempted to see the ISS and Dragon pass overhead together "before the Dragon was docked" as was mentioned in the post-launch press conference. I was unable to see them on the date/time last week as shown at International Space Station because of cloud cover.

This morning I was able to see the ISS pass over, but of course now the Dragon is docked so I only saw the ISS, I could not see the Dragon as a separate point of light.

(This post is tangentially related to the thread topic...)

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that this morning was the first time in my life that I had ever see the ISS in "real life". From now on I am going to make the effort to try and see the ISS and Dragon as they orbit just before docking.

I've shown some friends and co-workers how to spot the ISS and almost always get a similar report from them.

(Possibly even less tangentially related to the topic...);)
Iridium flares can be pretty impressive as well although much shorter in duration. The new Iridium birds don't use the same antennas, so try can catch some before all the old birds are taken out of service!