Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - CRS 8 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I read that article, the static fire test occurred before the accident with a vehicle at the test facility, and then the damage was repaired but there was no repeat static fire test. Which seems odd. Did I miss something?

Maybe. That static fire was back in February and was successful. You are correct the accident occurred after that. The damage from the accident was repaired, so this static fire will confirm the repairs worked. So if some damage was not obvious they will find out from this. That is why this one is so critical. When it comes to rocket science, there is so much energy involved, even a minute flaw can cascade into a complete failure quickly.

So fingers crossed....

Full Webcast:

Technical Webcast:

All seems a go for 4:43 EST.

It seems my prediction on post 1 was correct. SpaceX is going for an ASDS landing to get that type of landing down. SpaceX is not saying that specifically but the implication is there from people that attended the press conference. SpaceX was asked whether they could do a return to landing site and they said they could but didn't have FAA clearance to do so this time.

Last edited:
It seems my prediction on post 1 was correct. SpaceX is going for an ASDS landing to get that type of landing down. SpaceX is not saying that specifically but the implication is there from people that attended the press conference. SpaceX was asked whether they could do a return to landing site and they said they could but didn't have FAA clearance to do so this time.
I wonder whether it was their choice or the FAA's.