Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - CRS 8 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran across this incredible tilt-shift edit of the landing. All credit to /u/saxmanatee on reddit, who labored on it, and apparently edited it frame by frame to get the effect.

Agreed. That is incredible. It highlights a lot of things that I missed in the original version. The leg delay was really hard to see and the bounce-hop on landing. This makes that crisp and easy to see.

Hans Koenigsmann | SpaceX, Exploration through Innovation | NEAF Talks
Not a lot of new stuff but there is a video he shows of the CRS-8 landing that was not put out by SpaceX before. It's another on rocket sequence to the ASDS. It happens at 56:15
Wow, cool! Incredible how the camera lens cracks, twice, from the stress of re-entry. You're right, hadn't seen that view before of that particular landing, the first successful landing on OCISLY. Thanks for finding that.

That looks like the actual speed version of the sped up footage SpaceX released earlier.

Thanks... it provides a better sense of the actual event.

This is the CRS-8 version. The camera lens cracked due to the heat of re-entry. The other orbit to ASDS video was on Thaicom 8. SpaceX probably dumped the CRS-8 video because of the cracked lens. Though similar, they are two different moments.

Published on May 27, 2016
Sped up video of the Falcon 9 first-stage landing during the THAICOM 8 mission on May 27, 2016.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Lens cracked! All this time I thought it was just debris. Learn something new everyday!

On the Thaicom 8 video, it was just debris. On the CRS-8 video in the Hans piece the lens cracked twice.

So what happened, I think, is they tried to do a separation and follow the booster to the ASDS on CRS-8 and dumped the footage because of the cracked lens. They repeated the idea on Thaicom 8 and used a tougher lens. That worked so they posted the video of it.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo