Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - Eutelsat 117 West B + ABS 2A - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Next up:

Launch time: Approx. 1430 GMT (10:30 a.m. EDT) on Thursday, June 16th (without any more delays)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Eutelsat 117 West B and ABS 2A communications satellites. Eutelsat 117 West B will provide Latin America with video, data, government, and mobile services for Paris-based Eutelsat. ABS 2A will distribute direct-to-home television, mobile and maritime communications services across Russia, India, the Middle East, Africa, Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean region for Asia Broadcast Satellite of Bermuda and Hong Kong. Built by Boeing, the satellites will launch in a conjoined configuration and will use all-electric propulsion for orbit-raising. Delayed from 4th quarter 2015, March, April, May 3 and late May. [May 19]

Another ASDS landing on OCISLY will be attempted. The Falcon 9 rocket for this launch arrived at the Cape yesterday.

The next, on land, landing will be attempted with CRS-9 in July.

As noted by Matt Stanley, the launch date has been moved up to Tuesday, June 14th (Flag Day) with a time frame of 1432-1517 GMT (10:32-11:17 a.m. EDT).

The ASDS (OCISLY) has left port this morning in preparation of an anticipated landing attempt. Weather permitting, this should be an easier attempt than the last two GTO launches.

Update edit:
ULA has a delayed launch of their NROL 35 which will likely impact the SpaceX launch since the Cape has a 48 hour turnaround. To stay on the timetable the Delta IV launch must succeed tomorrow (unlikely due to weather issues) for SpaceX to get their Tuesday launch.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTslaGo
"Conjoined Triangles of Success!" - Best Silicon Valley reference worked into a rocket launch I've heard yet...

HAHA, it took me a bit to remember where I'd heard that, but yes that was quite amusing. Looks like no one knows if the first stage made it or not. I thought I saw a frame of it standing pretty close to the bullseye, but hard to say if it was able to stay that way. Either way, these launches are really exciting to watch!

Reactions: ggies07