Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - Iridium Next 1-10 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Taken with iPhone 6+ by a total n00b cameraman)

Since launch pad isn't visible we have no indication launch occurs until F9 clears the hills, roar from the engines takes a few seconds to arrive then builds up to a nice roar.
That was excellent. Thanks!
Were you in Lompoc?
I can often see launches from my second story in Glendale but this morning, just a wisp of contrail.

Absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing.

As a throwback to the anomaly incident, your video showed there were a number of missiles fired at the rocket at the 25 second mark. Probably by ULA trying to prevent the launch.... Maybe we'll have about 20 conspiracy theory videos proving those were missiles.
I'm just kidding folks...

If anyone is interested in going in the future navigate to 5014 W Ocean Ave, Lompoc, CA 93436, most people park on Ocean. (after the launch it takes forever getting out of there, its basically one road out)

Starts to get crowded 2 hours prior to launch, prime viewing spots are between 13th Street & Renwick Ave on Ocean Ave.

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 4.34.23 PM.png

My wife and I were out hiking all day and are late to this party, but we've now watched it twice and it was AWESOME. Congratulations to the SpaceX team, you are back on track!

@Lump thanks for posting that address. We will have to get down there for the next launch.

Does anyone know if there is good AT&T and/or T-Mobile cell data service at that viewing location so we can also watch the webcast?

If anyone is interested in going in the future navigate to 5014 W Ocean Ave, Lompoc, CA 93436, most people park on Ocean. (after the launch it takes forever getting out of there, its basically one road out)

Starts to get crowded 2 hours prior to launch, prime viewing spots are between 13th Street & Renwick Ave on Ocean Ave.

View attachment 210563
I arrived an hour before launch, perfect parking and was able to leave easily within 30 minutes after.

Wow! Thank you for the info.

Any idea about when and where the SpaceX Landing Pad will return?

Will the rocket be sent back to Florida?
If so, how (fly, road)?

spacexbfi.jpg

Will the rocket be sent back to Florida?
The recovered first stage from yesterdays launch will go to SpaceX in Hawthorne, California. I suspect the ASDS carrying it will dock today in Los Angeles or Long Beach, if it hasn't already.

Recovered first stages from launches in Florida are transported by truck back to Hawthorne, as far as I know.

I expect that at some point in a few years SpaceX will start reprocessing recovered first stages in Florida to reduce costs and speed turnaround time.

NOTE: The photo you posted is not of yesterdays landing. I assume you realize that, but do not want others to be mislead. Yesterday's landing was essentially a perfect bullseye, right on target.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I expect that at some point in a few years SpaceX will start reprocessing recovered first stages in Florida to reduce costs and speed turnaround time.
I believe that's what they plan to do with the old Spacehab facility at Port Canaveral. As I recall the plan is to renovate the existing facility, build a new hangar and a road from the dock to it. It's just a bit north of where they berth OCISLY now.
SpaceX plans five-year lease of Port Canaveral complex

West Coast boosters will probably go back to Hawthorne unless they do something similar for those flights.

Last edited:
We've got such an aerospace history in CA, it's sad to see various public and private sector programs continually shift to Fla. I'd love to see SpaceX pivot against the grain once again, and restore CA to the space age it helped to launch by retaining significant launch and recovery activity, close to its mothership location housing much of its earthling talent.

Reactions: Vitold
We've got such an aerospace history in CA, it's sad to see various public and private sector programs continually shift to Fla. I'd love to see SpaceX pivot against the grain once again, and restore CA to the space age it helped to launch by retaining significant launch and recovery activity, close to its mothership location housing much of its earthling talent.
I think it just comes down to efficiency. For launches out of the Cape it just makes sense to process as much as possible there, rather than truck it across the country multiple times. I doubt they'll ever bring West Coast boosters to the Cape for post flight processing for the same reason, better to keep them in CA. If you could launch Eastward from CA, you'd probably keep everything there, except perhaps the testing!

BTW - I agree that CA has a lot of aerospace history and talent to be proud of, some great and amazing stuff has come out of there.

Last edited: