Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - Iridium Next 11-20 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading a couple of online reports, apparently SpaceX's primary restriction to having closely timed launch dates is self imposed. Approximately 48 hours after the first launch, SpaceX engineers will have proactively completed a "quick-look data analysis" before green-lighting the second launch. Good reason, to rout out any potential future anomalies. I like it, part of their culture. SpaceX will just not assume they've topped the Falcon 9 launch learning curve and are constantly striving to improve. Looking forward to this weekend!

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and Grendal
Static Fire was completed a few hours ago and successful per a tweet from SpaceX. The second launch of the double header weekend.

The latest update for launch is:

June 25 Falcon 9 • Iridium Next 11-20
Launch time: 2025:14 GMT (4:25:14 p.m. EDT; 1:25:14 p.m. PDT)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California

Should be a great day to see a launch. 65 degrees and clear.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
There is confirmation that this Falcon 9 will use the new titanium grid fins.

Landis asked to have a pinned post that just has any new launch that happens. Then any new post will notify Landis and anyone else of a new launch who has subscribed to that post. I was thinking I'd just put a link to the new launch thread as the post itself.

Reactions: StephenM and landis
Really looking forward to this launch! My wife and I are staying in a hotel not far from Lompoc tonight and tomorrow morning will head for the SpaceX FB group meeting location at Renwick Ave and W. Ocean Ave to watch the launch.

Congratulations. I hope you have a wonderful time and also hope for no last minute launch delays to ruin the fun.

More information on the new grid fins from Elon on Twitter:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon responds to a number of questions thrown at him. So read the thread.

Reactions: StephenM
Landis asked to have a pinned post that just has any new launch that happens. Then any new post will notify Landis and anyone else of a new launch who has subscribed to that post. I was thinking I'd just put a link to the new launch thread as the post itself.
If you subscribe to the SpaceX sub-forum, you can get this functionality already without having a master launch thread. Plus then you get notifications when there's any new activity in threads you read, too.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
More information on the new grid fins from Elon on Twitter:
Yes I saw Elon's SpaceX tweetstorm posts this morning when I got up. Lots of interesting new info! We SpaceX geeks get excited about titanium grid fins. :p "Single piece cast & cut titanium"!

I was interested to see Elon mentioning that the new fins are slightly heavier but also "more control authority is for Falcon Heavy". Which I don't really understand since the cores for the Heavy are very similar to F9 cores.

They have also got to be more costly, but apparently the signficant advantages make the extra cost worthwhile.

Yes I saw Elon's SpaceX tweetstorm posts this morning when I got up. Lots of interesting new info! We SpaceX geeks get excited about titanium grid fins. :p "Single piece cast & cut titanium"!

I was interested to see Elon mentioning that the new fins are slightly heavier but also "more control authority is for Falcon Heavy". Which I don't really understand since the cores for the Heavy are very similar to F9 cores.

They have also got to be more costly, but apparently the signficant advantages make the extra cost worthwhile.

The Falcon Heavy central core is "beefier" according to everyone. I suppose that means it is heavier and must need a more robust grid fin for maneuvering. Long term, the new fins will not need the upkeep of the old fins. They don't need a protective coating that needs to be replaced after every launch. Also there will be almost no wear and tear. So long term they should be less expensive.

Of course that is just my guesswork.

Have fun and enjoy the launch. Say hi to Bill Carton for me.

Reactions: StephenM
Successful launch, successful Max Q, successful MECO, and successful landing. A long wait for satellite deployment.

A rough entry for the booster stage even with the new grid fins.
first month ever that SpaceX has launched 3 times.

Said another way, most SpaceX launches in one month.

Either way you say it, it's a new record.

Also their 9th launch, which breaks their record for number of launches in a year.