TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - Iridium Next 11-20 - SLC-4E

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Jun 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

#41 Electroman, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2017
    interesting there was a boost back burn, although this was not an RTLS.. .. hmm I wonder why?

And also they stopped showing telemetry after about t+1:30 into the flight..

• Like x 1
  2. HVM

HVM Savolainen

• Informative x 1
  3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Weather was rough at the point of the natural arc destination. They had to move the drone ship away from a storm requiring a boost back to shorten the arc.

• Informative x 4
  4. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

The consensus was that the booster had enough fuel to do a partial boostback burn. That gets the booster in a better position for recovery.

• Informative x 1
  5. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Most of the satellites were stacked out of camera view.......clear shot of #9, but the rest were either a partial view of the drift or nothing. They must have more camera(s) views than they are broadcasting to us?

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Elon's tweet was:

"Launch at 1:25 delivering 10 satellites for Iridium. Droneship repositioned due to extreme weather. Will be tight."

Fuel limited how far they could reposition but it was the weather that made them do so.

• Informative x 1
  7. HVM

HVM Savolainen

Telemetry...

• Informative x 3
  8. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

It was interesting to see the second burn of the second stage. It was only about 1 second long or so.

9. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

Looking back at the graphics from the SpaceX webcast, JRTI did appear to be positioned closer to land. As others have stated, this likely created the need for a boost back burn.

In another recent tweet Elon mentioned the new titanium grid fins working better than expected. Was there ever any doubt that this would be a better fix!

tesla1-820x375.jpg

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

They pulled all the strings they had in this one. congrats!

• Like x 1
  11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The launch was awesome! Since you can't see the pad from off base some people were tracking the countdown through their phones and when it got to zero, the crowd hushed and everyone just watched and waited. For about 3 seconds nothing happened from our point of view. Then the sound started to hit us and we could hear the roar of the rocket engines. A second later the F9 appeared above the hills blasting straight up!

The incredible sound washed over us: a deep rumble combined with a crackly high-pitched static sound that was amazing. The crowd found it's voice and there was a lot of excited cheering and yelling. The rocket slowly arched up and away from us so the first stage engines were pointing towards us and they were amazingly bright!

We watched it get higher and higher and suddenly a plume trail appeared, probably due to the characteristics of the atmosphere up higher. Then we saw the trail flare out, then MECO, then second stage ignition, and then it slowly disappeared into the blue. My spouse says she saw the second stage boost back burn ignite but I couldn't see it.

I did not take any photos during the launch, I just wanted to experience directly it with my eyes and ears. I did take some photos before the launch, and had the opportunity to meet many people including some SpaceX employees. Highlights were meeting Bill Carton who runs the SpaceX fans Facebook page and also SpaceX employee and webcast presenter Kate Tice! She is super nice and Bill is a true enthusiast and very friendly.

I estimate over 2,000 people were in just the area where we were (there are other places people congregate for launches) lining the sides of Ocean Ave and Renwick Ave which is almost exactly 4 miles from the pad. Clear skies and 72 degrees. What a day!

With Kate:
    IMG_4079.JPG

With Bill:
    IMG_4080.JPG

SpaceX enthusiasts showing off their attire, including a custom made SpaceX skirt! But my favorite is the on the left "Stand back. I'm doing science."
    IMG_4086.JPG

Flying the F9 pirate flag! And future Mars colonists.
    IMG_4087.JPG

• Like x 5
    • Love x 4
    • Funny x 2
  12. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

What are we looking at in these three photos?
    Thanks,
    Robin

13. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

• Informative x 1
  14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Took me a while, but I believe it's pictures of a Model S with the titanium plate (Tank Mode) driving over various kinds of debris.

(dhanson beat me).

• Like x 1
  15. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

That's good to hear. I remember you saying you were going to be there for the launch, so During the webcast, I was hoping the fog we saw on the webcast wouldn't impact your viewing ability. Visibility looked really bad at the launch pad.

Good choice on just taking in the experience and not messing with the camera. For the only Shuttle launch I saw, I did very little with the camera, had it set for some wide shots and just used the remote trigger to keep snapping pictures. Wanted to enjoy the experience. On a recent ride in a 1940's Stearman biplane that I had been trying to talk one of my neighbors into for a couple years, I consciously left the iPhone in my pocket to force myself to just enjoy the ride. I'll take photos on my next ride. I'll probably do the same with viewing the upcoming Total Solar Eclipse as well.

Thanks for the on-site report. I'm happy that it worked out for you.

• Like x 1
  16. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

Oh boy, I guess if a SpaceX/Tesla related titanium joke needs explanation it must be bad. Thanks for the save, I'll try and stick with my day job!

• Funny x 4
  17. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

• Like x 3
  18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  19. larmor

larmor Active Member

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

That landing looked a bit bouncy (at normal speed). Looking at how badly the drone ship was rolling, am not surprised!
    Good thing they had moved it away from the storm.