TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - JCSAT 14 - SLC-40

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Apr 8, 2016.

  1. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    SpaceX is on a roll. Next up is:

    April 28 Falcon 9 • JCSAT 14
    Launch window: TBD
    Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

    A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the JCSAT 14 communications satellite for Tokyo-based SKY Perfect JSAT Corp. JCSAT 14 will support data networks, television broadcasters and mobile communications users in Japan, East Asia, Russia, Oceania, Hawaii and other Pacific islands. Delayed from late 2015.

    So the date is likely to be adjusted and we don't even know the launch time frame yet. It will certainly be around this date because we know that the booster has been tested at MacGregor.

    We do know this will be an ASDS landing attempt, not a RTLS.
     
  2. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I incorrectly posted the delay on the wrong thread. Launch date is now May 3rd and the launch window is 1:22 AM EST to 3:22 AM. A very early launch.

    Thanks GGR.
     
  3. ggr

    ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2011
    Messages:
    2,479
    My apology for not noticing you'd already created the right thread! Mods, you can delete or merge mine.
     
    • Like x 1
  4. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    SpaceX bumped the date again. By 24 hours. The launch date is now May 4th and the launch window remains at 1:22 AM EST to 3:22 AM.
     
  5. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    And bumped once again. By another 24 hours. The launch date is now May 5th and the launch window remains at 1:22 AM EST to 3:22 AM.
     
  6. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    #6 Grendal, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    And the static test fire was successful... Next up...launch time. Still the 5th. Very early.

    It was also reported on SpaceX Facebook that "OCISLY" has left port for open waters.
     
    • Like x 1
  7. ICUDoc

    ICUDoc Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2015
    Messages:
    411
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
    Thanks for the updates, Grendal. Can't wait to see it!
     
  8. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Details on the launch and the landing attempt:

    SpaceX completes static fire ahead of JCSAT-14 mission | NASASpaceFlight.com

    This will be a hot one. On par with the SES-9 attempt at a landing. That booster ended up running out of fuel and smashing a hole in the ASDS. Fingers crossed that this one will be successful. If it is then SpaceX will have made another big breakthrough in recoveries.
     
    • Like x 1
  9. NigelM

    NigelM Recovering Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Messages:
    13,257
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    • Informative x 1
  10. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    And I read that it is also 2 hours later for the window. So somewhere around 3 AM.

    80% chance of good weather for the attempt today and the 20% came up and caused the scrub. That's a lot of lightning tracking right through the launch and recovery area.
     
  11. NigelM

    NigelM Recovering Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Messages:
    13,257
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    We're on the west coast of FL, but the storms are headed north-east right towards the Cape area. We had ~4" of unseasonal rain in ~4hrs this morning (did someone say "climate change"?)
     
    • Informative x 1
  12. xmetal

    xmetal Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    101
    Location:
    Sarasota, FL
    Based on the fact that it rained so much that my pool overflowed today (I live on the Gulf coast, roughly in line with Canaveral) I am not surprised that they put the launch off for a while. ;)
     
    • Helpful x 1
  13. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Well let's hope it happens and there are no anomalies. Nominal all the way!

    The Live Webcast:


    The Technical Webcast:
     
    • Like x 1
  14. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Successful launch. Successful MECO.

    Successful Landing!!! They frickin' did it again!
     
    • Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  15. 808?

    808? Member

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    110
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    Stage 1 landing success!
     
    • Like x 5
  16. ICUDoc

    ICUDoc Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2015
    Messages:
    411
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
    Wow! Nailed it- it looks dead centre!!??
     
    • Like x 5
  17. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2,520
    Location:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Real close to dead center on this one. I really hope they have a chase plane that got video of this landing. This will be incredibly cool since it is a night landing.
     
    • Like x 3
  18. hockeythug

    hockeythug Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,499
    Location:
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
     
    • Like x 4
  19. ProphetM

    ProphetM Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2015
    Messages:
    206
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nailed it! Looks like dead center on the target, too. Wow.
     
    • Like x 2
  20. BluestarE3

    BluestarE3 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2016
    Messages:
    1,013
    Location:
    Norcal
    Woohoo!!! Simply awesome!!
     
    • Like x 2

Share This Page