Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - SES 9 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just loaded the webcast. I see the count is at T-1:33 but I have no sound and the video image is frozen. Has SpaceX stopped the video feed?

No, there's just nothing happening at the moment, and the countdown has been reset to T-10:42 while they try to clear the range. You should see the condensation cloud moving.

- - - Updated - - -

Clock reset to 10+ minutes, waiting for range issue to clear. I wonder how long they can hold before the LOX cools to much for launch?

You mean warms up, not cools.

Yeppers - 10m and a few s to liftoff.....I think the time WAS correct as they were giving it in UTC and I'm pretty sure it's already rolled over to 29 Feb Over There.....

That was the most bizarre thing I've seen on a launch. Pretty cool to see that the computer is capable of abort that quickly, and at that late of a point in the sequence.

Blah, same thing happened with the first F9 flight (-attempt). (And then they corrected the problem and launched in same window!)

(And scared some Aussies with a UFO spiral, not related to abort...)

Elon Musk:
"Launch aborted on low thrust alarm. Rising oxygen temps due to hold for boat and helium bubble triggered alarm."

Last edited:
So, in the long term, the supercooled LOX did cause this abort but only because of the range issue creating a delay. The supercooled LOX has a short duration before it will heat up and expand. 30 to 35 minutes is apparently too much.

Hopefully tomorrow.

Edit: That was a very cool abort. The engines fired for a quarter to half a second before abort. The rocket hold down was successful just as it is for a static fire.

Last edited:
It sure would be fine if whoever the dingdong on the boat gets caught and held liable for the costs associated with this scrub.

Too much to ask for, I know....

I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't see why this can't be treated like a short test fire. If it truly is only the LOX, that is. Curious to know how quickly they can parse the data. Would love to see this go Monday.

SES said Monday was a backup date. SpaceX said in the video that they had no backup dates they could announce. Hopefully. We'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure would be fine if whoever the dingdong on the boat gets caught and held liable for the costs associated with this scrub.

Too much to ask for, I know....

If it was stupidity, probably not. If it was someone just wanting to see the launch a little better... Nail 'em.