Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - Thaicom 8 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok:

Elon Musk "Rocket landing speed was close to design max & used up contingency crush core, hence back & forth motion. Prob ok, but some risk of tipping."

e.g. One(Some )of the legs used it a crumpling zone?

More from Elon: "Crush core is aluminum honeycomb for energy absorption in the telescoping actuator. Easy to replace (if Falcon makes it back to port)."

I wonder if it happened from the landing itself? Or was it because of the extreme landing burn putting excessive pressure on the core? Maybe we'll find out more details.

Hope they have recordings from multiples angles and sources..

Or a nice video from a chase plane... I love the chase plane videos.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
More from Elon: "Crush core is aluminum honeycomb for energy absorption in the telescoping actuator. Easy to replace (if Falcon makes it back to port)."

I wonder if it happened from the landing itself? Or was it because of the extreme landing burn putting excessive pressure on the core? Maybe we'll find out more details.

Landing itself. It is no doubt at the end of the actuator stroke. It's sort of like a bump stop in automobile suspension, except not reusable.

Crushable honeycomb cores are pretty typical for one time shock absorption in space vehicles. Its light and effective. And can have reasonably repeatable performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Hat trick! Wow I live for these webcasts now. The shot as the first stage fired the reentry burn was amazing. The cameras were disposed of for entry but imagine the shot if they can keep one shooting all the way to the still love you! Can't wait until the first booster is reused, mars in their sights!

Reactions: Grendal
Hat trick! Wow I live for these webcasts now. The shot as the first stage fired the reentry burn was amazing. The cameras were disposed of for entry but imagine the shot if they can keep one shooting all the way to the still love you! Can't wait until the first booster is reused, mars in their sights!

Did you miss my post just before yours?

All the way in... Only a brief moment where the camera gets clogged with schmutz.

Youtube has a settings section where you can slow down the video. I just watched it at the slowest setting. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
So is that about 2 minutes of real time compressed into 30 seconds?

That blew my mind. Again.

I looked in the YouTube settings and do not see a way to change the video playback speed.

All the way in... Only a brief moment where the camera gets clogged with schmutz.

Youtube has a settings section where you can slow down the video. I just watched it at the slowest setting. Highly recommended.

Okay, thanks, I did that but no "Speed" control appeared. I'm in Chrome in iOS and on my Mac. Maybe it's a Windows thing.

Could be. There is a little cog shaped symbol in the lower right. If you click on it, it gives you a few choices and one is speed. You can slow the playback to .25. If you don't get the cog shaped symbol then it's a windows thing.

Could be. There is a little cog shaped symbol in the lower right. If you click on it, it gives you a few choices and one is speed. You can slow the playback to .25. If you don't get the cog shaped symbol then it's a windows thing.

Use HTML5 for playback instead of Flash and you will have speed control.

arnold