Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - NROL 76 (classified) - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
NROL-76 is a classified payload for the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) launching for the first time via a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

Launch Date: NET April 16th
Launch period: TBD
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida

Very little detail is known since this is a classified mission. Here is an article on what little is known:

NRO discloses previously unannounced SpaceX launch contract - SpaceNews.com

I believe this is the launch that ULA chose not to bid on and got them in trouble. Very recently ULA did finally bid on and go head to head with SpaceX for a classified launch and lost.

It will be interesting to see whether SpaceX does any broadcast for this launch. ULA has done their basic broadcast on classified launches recently. We'll see whether SpaceX does something. Will there be a booster recovery attempt? That is very likely but not confirmed. The current speculation is that this is a LEO launch and a landing attempt at LZ-1.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
For those of us who don't follow this quite as closely: What sort of potentially-sensitive data could be revealed by following the launch beyond the first stage?

I suppose second stage burn maneuverers could narrow down where the payload is going to be placed initially. The payload is classified and could be one satellite or a handful of smaller ones. These are classified spy satellites we are talking about here.

ULA launches the larger ones with antennas that are allegedly upwards of 300ft.

Orion (satellite) - Wikipedia

This is a older version that is only 250ft.

1514160267073692995.jpg

I suppose second stage burn maneuvers could narrow down where the payload is going to be placed initially. The payload is classified and could be one satellite or a handful of smaller ones. These are classified spy satellites we are talking about here.

ULA launches the larger ones with antennas that are allegedly upwards of 300ft.
I'm pretty sure nothing like that is on this flight! It's probably something a tad less interesting like a relay satellite (Quasar maybe?). But, you're right the second stage flight profile can offer up clues to the orbit of the payload, which might be used as a starting point for when it could appear over tracking stations. The orbit can also be a clue as to the payload's mission.

Reactions: hockeythug
I'm pretty sure nothing like that is on this flight! It's probably something a tad less interesting like a relay satellite (Quasar maybe?). But, you're right the second stage flight profile can offer up clues to the orbit of the payload, which could be used as a starting point for when it might appear over tracking stations. The orbit can also be a clue as to the payload's mission.

Yeah, definitely nothing like that. Just was showing what NROL is capable of. I relate that one to the solar energy weapon Icarus from the James Bond film Die Another Day. Ha.

So now we have a time frame if the launch happens on the 30th.

It is 1100-1300 GMT (7:00-9:00 a.m. EDT).

So a hopefully lovely daylight booster landing at LZ-1. Optimum opportunity for a fairing recovery since this is an easy lightweight LEO launch. I would not expect any videos of the fairing recovery attempt except from a nearby ship as they come in. Since it isn't needed for the booster SpaceX might use the ASDS for the fairing recovery attempt. I haven't heard from anyone whether that will happen but the ASDS is available.

Reactions: Piney999