Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 launch - Jason 3 - Vandenberg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain to me why they're trying to land on a barge? Land was successful. Why a moving target where one swell could destroy the landing?

Let me just quote some other answers

RTLS (return to launch site) requires a larger fuel margin, as the rocket has to thrust backwards to get its trajectory going back towards the launch site. With the drone ship, it can be placed downrange, removing the need for the "boost back burn" on missions that have a heavier payload. the rocket simply needs to have enough fuel for the landing burn. In this case specifically, the Jason-3 payload is light enough that it could perform a RTLS, but they do not have the required approval to land at Vandenberg Air Force Base. Plus, they just performed a successful RTLS landing. Why not double down?

I can't find it but another quote I saw said that Falcon Heavy would have to land the center module on the barge even if the outer two modules RTLS as it will have more thrust and cut off at a higher altitude.

essentially you will have

Some falcon missions will have light cargo or cargo intended for low orbit and will RTLS (landing on land)
Some falcon missions will have heavier cargo or cargo intended for higher orbit and will land on the barge (landing at sea).

Falcon Heavy missions might have light enough cargo or cargo intended for low enough orbit to allow some or all modules to RTLS or might not so you might see

Falcon Heavy scenario 1: 3 modules attempt to land on barge(s)
Falcon Heavy scenario 2: 1 module attempts to land on barge, 2 modules RTLS
Falcon Heavy scenario 3: 3 modules RTLS

FH scenario 2 and 3 being less likely but more reliable if possible (depending on payload and launch site).

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why they're trying to land on a barge? Land was successful. Why a moving target where one swell could destroy the landing?
Cheaper to land on the ocean due to orbital mechanics. Watch the livestream again, they give a great explanation.

Interesting that polar deploys are better from west coast and Falcon Heavy will launch from Vandenberg. That was also a cool explanation!

I still don't see how a successful landing on a barge can take place unless the barge has a gyroscopic platform so there is a level space to land.

Exactly. With all the resources and effort put into SpaceX, I would think a gyroscopic/pneumatic "platform above a barge" would be the way to go. That webcam shot before it was exploded showed the landing surface rocking back and forth to the extent that nothing upright could possibly land on it.

Also, why are they trying to land perfectly on a barge? Why not just a bunch of parachutes, a quiet splashdown, and a balloon for buoyancy?

After rocket powered landings to the sea, -which are more soft than parachute landings, boosters tipped over, hit the surface and exploded. Also rocket engines submerged in seawater are not exactly "rapidly reusable".

Also, why are they trying to land perfectly on a barge? Why not just a bunch of parachutes, a quiet splashdown, and a balloon for buoyancy?
This has been discussed to death already. A sea landing means the rocket is not reusable because of corrosion. The argument against parachutes is that it doesn't allow for a controlled landing like that of a rocket (will need much wider landing area). Also, supposedly the weight penalty was higher for a parachute system than a rocket system.

Went to the launch today. We were about 1km away from the pad. Heavy fog obscured any visual reference but the sound and feel of the launch were amazing. Wish I could post a video and share it but that doesn't seem to be an option. There are just a few Tesla's in this area but I counted a dozen in attendance, relevant field trip. Thought it was cool to see the Musk linkage, I bet those folks have solar city setups at their homes too. Next time I'll take our Rav4EV and see if any Model S owners recognize their step sister.

Elon tweeted that one leg failed to lock and gave in. Ocean swell is not to blame...

Wobbly legs are
I consider that relatively good news. There was a component failure and they will learn from that. Stage was on target and despite heavy seas the landing would likely have been successful if all legs had locked properly just like they did during the first stage landing success in December.

Here's picture of the large swells, 200 miles west of San Diego, making it to shore. That's a lifeguard on a jet ski on top of the swell
image.jpeg

Exactly. With all the resources and effort put into SpaceX, I would think a gyroscopic/pneumatic "platform above a barge" would be the way to go. That webcam shot before it was exploded showed the landing surface rocking back and forth to the extent that nothing upright could possibly land on it.

parachutes and balloon weight more and reduce functional payload.

Landing upright with main engines uses less weight.

I consider that relatively good news. There was a component failure and they will learn from that. Stage was on target and despite heavy seas the landing would likely have been successful if all legs had locked properly just like they did during the first stage landing success in December.

I think it is great news, SpaceX seems to be on track to become space ballet dancer

Baby Space X contemplating its future - what do I want to be?
BG.JPG

Space X uuups, gimme a break, I am on L's
G1.JPG

Space X trying, dang wobbly legs
G2.JPG

Space X juuuust making it (this is so darn hard...)
G3.JPG

Space X mastering the stand (smirk)
G4.JPG

Space X ballet moves in space (appropriate soundtrack....)
J5.JPG

Space X victorious roar - looook at moa, I am the space master!!! Jeff eat your heart out
Roar.JPG

Last edited: