TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 launch - DSCOVR satellite

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#1 Grendal, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Starting the thread for the upcoming launch. There will be another attempt at landing the first stage. It's been mentioned in other threads that this one, because of the angle will be more difficult than the last attempt.

The launch of DSCVR on Feb. 8, has a scheduled liftoff time of 6:10 p.m. EST (2310 GMT), with a backup launch date of Feb. 9 at 6:07 p.m. EST (2307 GMT). This flight will mark the second launch for SpaceX in 2015.

The static test was completed successfully:

SpaceX successfully conducts static fire test in preparation for DSCOVR launch - SpaceFlight Insider

2. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

As of the moment of this post, the launch schedule is:

The Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR) is scheduled to launch at 6:10 p.m. EST Sunday, Feb. 8 from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. A backup launch opportunity is available at 6:07 p.m. on Feb. 9, if needed.

NASA Television coverage of the launch will begin at 3:30 p.m. In addition to launch coverage, NASA TV also will air a prelaunch news conference at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 7.

3. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Really excited for this.

4. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Aaah can't wait

Started as a dream and a myth
    IcarusFlying.jpg

Now reality
    Falcon9.jpg

5. MacroP

MacroP Member

With a sunset time of around 6pm it looks like the launch (and landing) is going to have spectacular backdrop. Can't wait.

PS. What it the stage's return time? Around 15minutes?

6. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#6 hockeythug, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    On the last launch, CRS-5, 1st stage seperation was like at T+2:25 so prolly a little sooner than that.

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

8. Kalud

Kalud Member

Pretty cool artist impression from the Business Insider article

Image credits: Jon Ross at @zlsadesign and zlsa.github.io

barge-landed-1920-1080.png

9. c041v

c041v Member

Does anybody know what they use guide the returned stage? If I recall correctly, GPS is only accurate to a few meters and even then, it's not terribly trustworthy when it comes to elevation.

Are they using some combination of GPS/Proximity sensors and instrument guidance? I'd put this on par with landing the X-47B landing on an aircraft carrier, but I read that it actually aborted an attempt once when one of the navigational computers produced an error. That isn't exactly an option for SpaceX, so they must be using some sort of system that is a whole lot less susceptible to failure.

10. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Could be wrong but I think I read that they use some sort of radar system.

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

As owner/operator of a Phantom II drone, which uses GPS, I would say that a meter is pretty good for such a large object as the returned stage. My drone can and does return by GPS if it loses signal from me, and lands gently at the same spot it left (+/- a foot or so). It will sit in space where ever I put it, move to where ever I want it, within a foot or so, and stay there. It's pretty amazing software, with gyros, etc., on a tiny chip. I bet they have better software than I do. I also know that military GPS is MUCH more accurate than that used by the public. Perhaps they are allowed to use it.

The newer drones which can be used indoors without GPS, rely on bi-optical cameras that "see" the floor and land gently. I believe that the rocket stages have cameras on them already.

Doesn't sound like a problem.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Is that still true? I thought I'd read a few years ago where they removed the restriction. (not to say that there isn't a new mil-spec with more accuracy).

13. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Selective Availability was turned off May 2000. Officially, there is no intention to reinstate it: GPS.gov: Selective Availability

14. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

There is an enhancement to GPS called "WAAS" (Wide Area Augmentation System), in which a ground-based system (in a very well surveyed place) transmits corrections to the GPS signals to compensate for the inaccuracies that are mostly atmospheric and ionic in origin. This is used by receivers in aircraft, for precision landings, for example.

The biggest problem with GPS (even with WAAS) is that it is quite inaccurate in the vertical direction. I believe the Falcon 9 uses a radar altimeter both for accurate altitude information and also partly to locate the barge (which is hopefully higher than the sea around it).

15. mdevp

mdevp Member

Approximately how long after launch is the first stage expected to land on the platform?

16. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

From my memory it was about 30-45 min after launch

17. snellenr

snellenr Member

First stage landing attempt occurs roughly 10 minutes after launch. Live coverage stays with the second stage burn -- there won't be any live coverage from the barge, but news of success/failure has been pretty quick.

18. Pricee2

Pricee2 Member

www.spaceflightnow.com says T+0:09:00 for 1st stage landing. It will take some additional time to find out the results of the landing attempt.

snellenr beat me to it!

I am waiting for the countdown time video to start.

19. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

If we can live feed from within the rocket fuel tank, I don't understand what is the difficulty in having live coverage from a ship a mile or two from the barge.

20. Dave46

Dave46 Member

#20 Dave46, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    SpaceX is probably using avionics systems similar to autolanding aircraft + airports: differential GPS from the barge aka ASDS + radio altimeter (radar) + triple redundant fail operative flight control computers. That capability has been around for over 2 decades.
    And BTW the accuracy can be 10 to 20 cm ! in best case which is about 10x better than they need.