Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 launch - DSCOVR satellite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, launch scrubbed for today. Some issue with the downrange tracking.

Next launch window is 1807 EST tomorrow, Monday.

Looks like one of the Air Force's radar tracking systems went down, according to a Elon tweet:
Air Force tracking radar went down. Launch postponed to same time tomorrow.

Apparently they're going to replace the first stage video transmitter as well (tweet):
Prob good though. Will give us time to replace 1st stage video transmitter (not needed for launch, but nice to have).

I actually work on DSCOVR... (wrote software for ground-based science data processing). I'm really excited for Monday -- psyched to see the attempted landing on the ocean-based platform. I have to say it was cool to see Elon Musk actually re-tweet the name of a project I work on :)... So I own a Model S and my project is launching on a Falcon 9... next might have to get solar panels from Solar City lol ;). In any case I'm a huge fan of Tesla, SpaceX and pretty much everything Elon works on.

Anyway... I hope it goes well Monday.

Last edited:
Too bad about today's scrubbed attempt, although I am happy there's another window so soon.

Thanks to all for the excellent answers regarding my earlier Navigation/Landing question. I knew I would not be disappointed with the depth of TMC's collective knowledge.

@elonmusk "Prob good though. Will give us time to replace 1st stage video transmitter (not needed for launch, but nice to have)."

Does that mean that the first stage will be able to transmit a live video feed during reentry and landing? Or does it mean something else...

Doubt it's for the live view of landing part of the flight. Probably for the ascending part. The landing happens beyond horizon from the Cape, and transmitting video beyond horizon is not practical. So, unless they are going to fly re-transmitters (drone-based or otherwise) to beam the live signal back to the Cape, we won't see it live. However, it could be sending the onboard video to the barge, where it would be stored for later analysis.

"SpaceX, NOAA, NASA, and the Air Force are now targeted to launch the DSCOVR satellite aboard Falcon 9 on Tuesday 2/10 at 6:05pm ET, with a backup launch opportunity on Wednesday 2/11 at 6:03pm ET. Watch the launch live here tomorrow, beginning at 5:45pm ET."

T-minus one hour till today's (Tuesday) launch attempt time at 6:05pm Eastern.

Upper-level winds are the concern today -- not only for the barge landing of the 1st stage (which they may choose to not attempt), but also for the launch itself -- current wind speeds are 'in the red' for launch. We'll see if they calm down enough...

"SpaceX is still tracking towards a 6:03pm ET liftoff of DSCOVR, but unfortunately we will not be able to attempt to recover the first stage of the Falcon 9. The drone ship was designed to operate in all but the most extreme weather. We are experiencing just such weather in the Atlantic with waves reaching up to three stories in height crashing over the decks. Also, only three of the drone ship’s four engines are functioning, making station-keeping in the face of such wave action extremely difficult. The rocket will still attempt a soft landing in the water through the storm (producing valuable landing data), but survival is highly unlikely."

Source: DSCOVR Launch Update | SpaceX