Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Funding and Funding Rounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy for SpaceX.. Not a fan of Google as a company, and sad that they now own 10%. An interesting collaboration nonetheless.

Why not a fan of Google? I can't think of any reason to have a negative disposition towards them.

It will be interesting to see how the funding and satellite venture play out. It's not really a move I expected from SpaceX, but I'm not entirely surprised by it either. I could see it being really big or fading away; I can't really predict this one. I kind of feel the same way about this as I do about Tesla battery swap.

SpaceX has reportedly raised $350 million in new funding that would value the company at around $21 billion. It’s not apparent who was involved in the round, which places SpaceX among the highest valued private companies in the world. The rocket maker’s previous valuation in 2015 was $12 billion when it received $1 billion from...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/07/28/spacex-takes-new-funding-at-21b-valuation/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Strange concept, considering there is no set metric for "valuation" for a private company... so who's in charge of this mythical list of which SpaceX somehow belongs?

Typically private companies are ranked on their revenues, not their market cap - since such a metric is sketchy at best.

In 2006 Wikipedia took a shot at it and they pegged number 1 at 1.56 Trillion dollars. #10 was 140 billion. 11 years later I'm sure the entire list has moved way higher than that (after all, the #1 public company went from a valuation of $447M in 2006 [Exxon] to $617M in 2017 [Apple]). So I'm not sure how a mere $21B puts SpaceX "among the highest valued private companies in the world".

I realize these are our heroes, but we don't have to just make stuff up. They can stand on their own legs and achievements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
SpaceX has raised an additional $100 million in funding, according to a regulatory filing. The cash injection is part of a larger round announced over the summer that now totals nearly $450 million and reportedly values the company at more than $21 billion. The company has raised more than $1.5 billion from venture investors. The...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/11/27/spacex-secures-100m-in-new-funding/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Reactions: Nikxice
Strange concept, considering there is no set metric for "valuation" for a private company... so who's in charge of this mythical list of which SpaceX somehow belongs?

Typically private companies are ranked on their revenues, not their market cap - since such a metric is sketchy at best.

In 2006 Wikipedia took a shot at it and they pegged number 1 at 1.56 Trillion dollars. #10 was 140 billion. 11 years later I'm sure the entire list has moved way higher than that (after all, the #1 public company went from a valuation of $447M in 2006 [Exxon] to $617M in 2017 [Apple]). So I'm not sure how a mere $21B puts SpaceX "among the highest valued private companies in the world".

I realize these are our heroes, but we don't have to just make stuff up. They can stand on their own legs and achievements.

Most large companies are public, even those controlled by a family or small group of owners.

Note that the quote is "highest valued", not largest.

To give you some idea, Ikea is valued at about $19B, with $45B in revenue. Ikea is listed on Wikipedia as the 15th largest private company. That's because value depends on profit potential, and revenue is not profit.

Valuation is made using <% stake> x <price paid for stake>.

SpaceX's valuation is based on its potential profitability, which now includes Starlink.

Reactions: Grendal