Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog SpaceX Has Shipped 100,000 Starlink Terminals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SpaceX’s effort to beam internet around the globe has already racked up 100,000 customers.

Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted Monday that 100,000 Starlink terminals have been shipped. The terminals receive the internet signal from a constellation of satellites that SpaceX continues to build.

The first Starlink satellites were launched in February 2018. The constellation has now grown 1,740 satellites. The company has said its current operational satellites could provide global coverage as soon as September.

For a $499 upfront cost, Starlink customers receive a terminal, Wi-Fi router, power supply, cables, and a mounting tripod. The service then costs $99 a month.

SpaceX opened the program last year in beta and has received more than half a million orders for the service since. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: EVCollies
I'm hoping the monthly cost of Starlink goes down and the speeds go up. I currently have Spectrum Internet and pay $75 per month for 100Mbps and hate them because they keep raising the cost of their service.
Would love to have 100Mbps, or $75/mo. Both together? would make my year (with COVID still spreading, I will admit this is a low bar). Currently we are the target audience: 10Mbps and $165/month. Better than some, but not many...

• Helpful
Reactions: adiggs
Would love to have 100Mbps, or $75/mo. Both together? would make my year (with COVID still spreading, I will admit this is a low bar). Currently we are the target audience: 10Mbps and $165/month. Better than some, but not many...
Well, Spectrum was charging me $50 a month for Internet. Then in less than 2 years it went up to $75 a month. I can assume they will keep raising the price. So I'd rather pay a little more now for Starlink because I believe in what Elon Musk is doing and as I said, hope their prices come down and the speeds increase.

So you are paying $165/month just for internet, with a download speed of 10Mbps?

Different guy, but I pay $105/month for 10 Mbps download (and less than 1 Mbps upload)...and that's during the middle of the night when it's at its best. Forget about trying to get near those numbers during the daytime. I live in the country and it's the best option I've got--and frankly I'm grateful to have any option at all here. For people in my situation, Starlink is going to be a huge gamechanger. I couldn't give them my $100 deposit fast enough.

Regretting not jumping on the first wave of SL beta (thought wife would complain it cost too much, she later reacted a la "you stupid?" for not getting it). Too close to urban for "rural is our early intended audience" SL later beta, weirdly just close enough from urban to get early cable internet but far enough to not get fiber upgrade (so stuck at 25Mbps, fortunately half price at $25/mo).

Maybe can wedge into the next wave.

So you are paying $165/month just for internet, with a download speed of 10Mbps?
That is what the leading satellite competitor to Starlink costs and only a max of 50 gbs of downloading. Until you have a download max do you realize how much you use. I have an Orbi with a SIM card with a 50 GB max. I turn my modem off whenever not using

It gets weirder. I've been waiting ages and was told essentially at the end of the year that it got pushed to 2022 (March-ish).. and yet a friend that I told about Starlink way after I pre-ordered mine has had his already.

I'm not sure it's even worth keeping the pre-order as broadband provision around here is decent at about 50-60mb down and I can't use it for work due to the potential outages. It's a fair chunk of change that I was willing to splash out to take part in the beta. It won't be in beta by the time it turns up.

Reactions: Hank42
It gets weirder. I've been waiting ages and was told essentially at the end of the year that it got pushed to 2022 (March-ish).. and yet a friend that I told about Starlink way after I pre-ordered mine has had his already.

I'm not sure it's even worth keeping the pre-order as broadband provision around here is decent at about 50-60mb down and I can't use it for work due to the potential outages. It's a fair chunk of change that I was willing to splash out to take part in the beta. It won't be in beta by the time it turns up.
It sounds like what happens at Tesla....

Reactions: Hank42