TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SpaceX humble beginnings - Elon's public speech from 2003

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Elon from 2003 talking about SpaceX. It starts at 8:00. It is fascinating to see that his goals really haven't changed that much.

He wants his rocket to be used to go to the Moon or Mars.

Low costs. Falcon 1 was $6 million. Falcon 9 is just about 9 times more expensive.

Innovation driven.

He doesn't like patents.

This discussion happens pre-Tesla.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Three years later. He's talking about re-usability (with parachutes) and engine out capability.

Elon has years early timetables....

Dealing with suppliers and their products.

• Like x 2
  3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Making life multi=planetary.

Terrible sound on this one...

• Like x 1
  4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

He is consistent, that's for sure.

It is astonishing what SpaceX has accomplished in just 13 years. If in 2003 anyone had predicted that in 2016 SpaceX would be routinely doing powered first stage recoveries at sea and on land and launching payloads at the rate they are doing, no one except Musk would have believed it would be possible.

Almost no one I know pays any attention to SpaceX. I start talking about it and most people just tune out. I have a neighbor who works for Apple and he and a cousin of mine are just about the only people I know personally who follow SpaceX. And my wonderful spouse, who now gets just as excited as I do watching a stage landing. :D

We seriously plan to be in the crowd at Cape Canaveral when SpaceX launches the first humans to Mars. It will be a turning point in human history. I have to see it live.

• Like x 8
  5. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I was seriously planning to watch this from S. Texas!

6. Piney999

Piney999 Member

This whole thread is awesome! Please keep posting old videos of Elon!

• Like x 2
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't complain if the SpaceX launch taking the first humans to Mars was from the new SpaceX launch site being built near Brownsville Texas. Easier to drive there in my S.

But I think it will be from the Cape. It's about the history, and likely better support facilities.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

Watching the first humans depart for Mars would be pretty cool. Near term, the first Falcon Heavy to launch from Florida at the end of this year would be quite a show to catch live. SpaceX's 27 Merlin engines lighting off simultaneously will likely bring up comparisons to the failed Russian N1 rocket program from the sixties. Since the Russians didn't take Elon seriously 15 years ago, I'm sure he wouldn't mind showing them how it's done today.

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

They took his money seriously. The problem is that was all they were focused on.

10. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

A new one I've never seen before from 2008:

SpaceX and a little about Tesla. The audience seems to ask some pretty interesting questions. The seem more knowledgeable than the basic public.

Some early versions of stories that Elon talks about to this day.

He is focused on re-usability by this point. It took 7 more years before a booster was successfully landed.

• Like x 1