Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems like a very minor potential market.
It's all about spreading the fixed costs across more customers. Every country added absorbs some of the fixed cost and helps the overall profitability.

So long as they can get a license to operate and toss up a cheap order page and ship stuff that works anywhere it is a win/win to add new countries.

Panama, El Salvador, and Costa Rica are on the very soon to open list.

Last edited:
I'll throw a couple more at you. Look at the circled single cell in Central Washington I have marked. I know it because I drive through it occasionally. Very rural. Yes, there's a tiny little gas station/village but it's mostly forest/desert. Why no service yet at all, when all of the similar unpopulated areas around that single cell have service? Is it because practically no one lives there? But the cell just to the north is just as unpopulated.

As for Idaho, the three stacked "waitlist" cells (top one circled is mine) have maybe 1/100 the density of the area south of us and west of Boise that also is waitlisted. If I use the simulator, we all seem to be using the same ground stations and satellites.

I go for the administrative over-simplification or "it takes programmer time to set the satellites up to prioritize sat time for a given cell and we haven't gotten around to it yet" sort of thing.

But I don't know. It's interesting to speculate.

View attachment 910402
Your coverage gaps are gone

1679543836179.png

1679543782141.png

Reactions: jerry33 and DrGriz
They are testing V2 before raising them through or above the ISS altitude. Some are being deorbited.
Ah ok.. so we now have some official word on this. So it does appear to be dliberate. I wonder if those de-orbiting are not functioning well enough to remain, or if a couple were planned to be sacrificial in order to test out the sats with their new architecture/thrusters all the way thorough decommissioning.

RV service renamed "Roam" and now has a regional vs global option.

Keep in mind it's meant for short term use abroad

"Limitation and Requirements for Starlink Roaming Users. Starlink Roaming Services is a consumer product only and is not available for purchase or use by commercial, enterprise, or governmental users. If you use Starlink Roaming Services for more than two months in a country that is different than your shipping address, Starlink may require you to move your registered address to your new location. Starlink does not guarantee when or where Starlink Roaming Services will be available. Starlink Roaming Services are dependent on many factors, including obtaining or maintaining the necessary regulatory approvals which are subject to change. Find a list of authorized territories (marked “Available or Waitlist”) on Starlink map: www.starlink.com/map."

1679690282840.png

FquKFfyaQAAojny

"

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
7 years ago today the first successful orbital class drone ship landing (paving way to the first orbital class reuse)
(To be sung to the melody of Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band)

It was seven years ago today,

SpaceX taught the world how to say,

Every rocket launched should come down,

And then made ready to turn around.

So now let me introduce to you,

The only and only BFR!

Super Heavy, Starship is ready to launch!