Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idaho looks clear, any news?
Yes, the odd availability issue we saw in my area is now all available.

This weird spot near Brewster WA is still blocked, however:

1681799690712.png

Reactions: navguy12
70% off sale for some parts of rural Canada.
That’s an interesting move by SpaceX. Now that Starlink offers coverage over all of Canada, no matter how far north one might live, they are dramatically lowering the upfront cost to try to get new customers in areas where they have lots of capacity and are likely to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. For low income people the hardware cost can be a barrier.

The challenge for SpaceX is getting the word out to those potential customers in far flung rural areas. How to advertise to them?

Reactions: DrGriz and navguy12
That’s an interesting move by SpaceX. Now that Starlink offers coverage over all of Canada, no matter how far north one might live, they are dramatically lowering the upfront cost to try to get new customers in areas where they have lots of capacity and are likely to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. For low income people the hardware cost can be a barrier.

The challenge for SpaceX is getting the word out to those potential customers in far flung rural areas. How to advertise to them?
I don't know where they got the list from but that is being emailed to potential customers.

We already know some people would have submitted a request before service was available, others they could have gotten from the work they've already done with first nations. Maybe even some addresses from the Tesla list?

I want Basic Starlink for my home, but if I want to lend it to friends so they can try it at their homes or businesses occasionally, is there any downside to ordering the Roaming version instead of standard?

Last edited:
I want Basic Starlink for my home, but if I want to lend it to friends so they can try it at their homes or businesses occasionally, is there any downside to ordering the Roaming version instead of standard?
There is no guarantee you'll be able to switch from roaming to fixed location due to capacity allocation.
Roaming/ mobile costs more per month and is lower priority on data allocation.

It looks like they removed the portability option for temporarily relocating a fixed serivce plan.

This increases upload speeds, reduces time to acquire a new satellite, reduces or eliminates dropped connections due to the delay switching satellites.

It will reduce re-transmits (because you can sometimes finish a transmit before the sat moves out of range)

and if you aren't re-transmitting as often that's freeing up bandwidth for other users in a congested area.