Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In layman's terms fire is plasma and plasma is fire.

Q: Is fire a plasma? What is plasma?

But there are plasmas that are cool so not all plasma would count as fire even to a layman.

So the question is how hot is the plasma generated by the hall effect thruster using Krypton?

Ummm... I don't think so. Fire is just hot gas that's reacting and producing a visible emission spectrum. It may well include some ionized gas (plasma), but I don't think that's true in what we typically call a fire - like a word or natural gas flame. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, maybe I got a little overzealous with my waxing about spaceX doing non traditional stuff. :oops: Sounds like its going to be a pretty classic satellite, just with the expected spaceX twists and in a non-traditional packaging/layout. I'm still holding out hope that the thing doesn't actually have wheels and stuff for precision control (and instead just relies on precision knowledge), but mostly just cause that's a super cool idea. :cool: Unfortunately, depending on the propulsion solution, precision control might be a necessity. If there's only one thruster, any offset of the thrust vector from the CG of the spacecraft (which, of course, changes as things get deployed and propellant gets consumed) creates an undesired spin rate that needs to be actively counter-acted by the attitude control system

I must say it is pretty awesome that the satellite is actually flat. ("Flatsat" is a concept used in the space industry, but it applies to testing, not a final configuration). That's HUGE for production simplicity--traditionally, anything that's bigger than about 50-75kg (give or take) basically becomes a three dimensional satellite that has to be manipulated/handled as such. No doubt Starlink's are built on a basic table and never flipped around..at least for the recurring units.

Krypton makes sense, that's pretty much where the non-mega-sat concepts are going, mostly for cost. Its still a noble gas like Xe and so works pretty much the same in an electric propulsion system that's pretty much the same, but its higher on the table and thus lighter, so its a little less efficient. Not awesome yet for a 5000kg satellite, not a big deal for a 250kg satellite. Argon is another interesting alternative to Xe, as it can be launched as a solid. Back to waxing a bit, what will be super cool is for technology to advance to the point where other molecules are practical. Theoretically you could use carbon dioxide in an EP system. I hear there's a place nearby that has a lot of that...

Reactions: Solarguy and mongo
In those areas, it's less likely that Starlink replaces cell towers and rather replaces the backhaul used by the towers (whether traditional satellite, or microwave point to point, or fiber... ).

IMHO anyway, it all goes back to how far Starlink can push the price breakpoint versus fiber. Obviously there's a huge strength-in-numbers element to starlink that even the other big two aren't going to have, but when you go down into the individual spacecraft they all still individually have to adhere to a traditional conops, and that essentially translates into the fact that each spacecraft is really only providing max service (and potentially any service) for a relatively small amount of its orbital period. A big element in that investigation will be both the size and the steerability (or not) of the solar arrays. Anyone read anything on that?

So 13,620 kg of satellites
He also reports that the satellites will be released at 440km and Krypton thruster their way up to 550km.

Oh, so the other interesting thing here is that, even when you have full control over design and cost of both the launcher and the payload, direct inject is a hard case to close. 440 pretty much puts the injection above Station...its possible that was a constraint for minimum altitude, either self-imposed or strongly 'suggested'.

To be fair, that could just be a complete coincidence and 440 could simply be the right balance between maximizing launch mass (lower injection = more mass lifted, but lower injection = more propellant on each satellite) and minimizing drag on the satellites as they spiral out to 550...

Reactions: mongo
IMHO anyway, it all goes back to how far Starlink can push the price breakpoint versus fiber. Obviously there's a huge strength-in-numbers element to starlink that even the other big two aren't going to have, but when you go down into the individual spacecraft they all still individually have to adhere to a traditional conops, and that essentially translates into the fact that each spacecraft is really only providing max service (and potentially any service) for a relatively small amount of its orbital period. A big element in that investigation will be both the size and the steerability (or not) of the solar arrays. Anyone read anything on that?
Starlink clearly wins on cost if you want to stand up a cell tower in the middle of nowhere (paying a reasonable subscription cost versus installation of fiber from somewhere to nowhere, potentially hundreds of miles away and then paying a subscription cost on that), though the closer to existing fiber you get the less clear cut the cost win is, and by the time you're in a city it just comes down to how much profit do SpaceX & the fiber operators want to give up to try and undercut each other, and if there's a point they're not willing to go below.

Reactions: jepicken and mongo
The other cool thing about this is that for those who can afford a “pizza box” receiver for $200 then they can bypass national firewalls ( China, Russia, Iran, Korea) Filtering the Internet will be very much harder when it gets deployed .. every receiver has a direct high speed link to the Internet..
There is no way that the governments of China, Russia, Iran, and (I assume) North Korea will allow their citizens to own/use a Starlink receiver that provides unfiltered internet access.

Reactions: jepicken and bxr140
My son is now out in the Atlantic and will recover the fairings (nose cone) tonight. Hoping that everything goes well.
Can’t believe no one has responded to your post yet! Does your son work directly for SpaceX, or is he a contractor? Is he a crew person on Mr Steven?

In any case, I hope he is successful in his goal!

There is no way that the governments of China, Russia, Iran, and (I assume) North Korea will allow their citizens to own/use a Starlink receiver that provides unfiltered internet access.
You are correct.. but lack of permission simply means black market deployment..
Not unlike the US feds still calling Marijuana an illegal drug. How well did that work for them?

I said “fire is oxidation”. I did not say, “all oxidation is fire”. ;)
And I was responding to someone else ;)

Can’t believe no one has responded to your post yet! Does your son work directly for SpaceX, or is he a contractor? Is he a crew person on Mr Steven?

In any case, I hope he is successful in his goal!

Mr Steven stayed in port, the two recovery vessels are out to pick up the halves from the ocean.

Everyday astronaut put together a good post about the conference call SpaceX did. Lots of nice tidbits. here

Here is what he wrote:
Everyday Astronaut on Twitter said:
STARLINK @SpaceXConference call Live-Tweet thread will be here @elonmuskwill be updating us before this awesome awesome launch!!! (PS. YES, I'm live-streaming it tonight!) #Starlink

60 sats are production design, with no KA antenna. Some of them might not work, small possibility none will work. Crazy technology and they're very hard.

No LEO constellation has worked without going bankrupt No one has succeeded in a viable LEO constellation, but @elonmuskthinks they'll be successful!

60 satellites for this one (different numbers in other future launches), each launch is a terabit of useful connectivity, heaviest payload F9 or FH has EVER launched, more solar power on these 60 satellites than the entire ISS!!!

6 more launches before operational. Coverage map is very complex, but additional launches increase coverage.

World wide coverage around 24 launches. They'll continue to iterate and improve the design and ultimately there'll be many thousands of satellites in orbit

Taking great consideration for orbital debris. Big reason why they went with the lower orbit to help clear out dead satellites.

They can maneuver around orbital debris using orbital thrusters!

Satellites are powered by an ION drive using Krypton. Sounds like a straight up super-villain thing to do, @elonmusk

Satellites are designed to burn up on reentry.

They see this as a key stepping stone to establishing revenue for advanced rockets and a self sustaining city on Mars! I love that.

Launch satellite is only about $3 Billion revenue a year, internet connectivity revenue could be around $30 billion!!!

Krypton is a lot cheaper than Xenon. ISP of ~ 1,500! Not bad. More mass limited than density limited on this architecture.

Connect with the satellites about an hour after liftoff over Tazmania.

They're going to SHOW the deployment and no one has seen anything like this. They're going to ROTATE the stage and the satellites will be deployed like "spreading a deck of cards on a table" maybe like a new "Korolev Cross"... They might lightly bump into each other.

Biggest concerns, solar arrays, phase array antennas, ion engines. Lots of new technology on the satellites.

After 800 satellites, it will really be mostly operational. They'll continue to deploy more and more to not be bandwidth constraint.

You need 6 planes minimum for continuous operation around the world. This is kind of version 1. They have interesting ideas for 2 and 3 and continue to iterate.

They hope to sell their services already to telecom and others by end of the year, maybe early next year if things go well.

Receivers are about the size of a medium-ish pizza. Electronically phase array steered antenna means you can mount it off angle and don't need to point it perfectly. SUB 20 ms latency!

Just plug it in and it works! Woah. It will work on mobile devices like car or plane or boat.

Receivers can do ground bounce links.

Version 2 and 3, they hope to have laser satellite links.

A year and a half maybe 2 years, SpaceX will probably have more satellites in orbit than all other satellites COMBINED!!!

Starship isn't required for this system, but they'd like to switch to Starship because the launch cost could come much less. It costs more to deliver the satellites than they cost to make!

They're hoping for a 4 - 5 year timeframe / lifespan.

Conference call has ended. See you tonight! I'm getting the stream prepped as we speak!

You are correct.. but lack of permission simply means black market deployment..
Not unlike the US feds still calling Marijuana an illegal drug. How well did that work for them?
If SpaceX allows unfiltered access to the internet in China, Musk will basically be blacklisted and can forget about doing business in China. Not just SpaceX, but also Tesla. So I'm fairly sure SpaceX will implement filtering, simply refuse links originating in China, or only allow links originating in China to be bounced back to China (allowing the Chinese filtering to do the work).

Things might be better in countries that have no meaningful leverage. Like North Korea. But it's definitely not without risk for those who access Starlink...

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I thought it was a very positive update on Starlink yesterday.

Successful deployment and testing of Starlink's first 60 satellites over the next few days should significantly increase Starlink's probability of building a viable business.

Key updates:
  • Recent Spacex funding rounds have been oversubscribed (disproving TSLAQ's SpaceXQ FUD). Elon thinks Spacex now has enough capital to get Starlink operational.
  • Targeting 3-5% of the $1trn worldwide telecommunications revenue. So $30-50bn revenue.
  • 60 satellites in first launch. 12 launches will cover the US. 24 will provide decent global coverage. Can begin selling services with c.400 satellites. Need c.1000 to be economically viable. Will continue to add satellites to meet demand.
  • Falcons can potentially launch 1-2k per year.
  • Targeting sub-20ms latency
  • Each launch has "about a terabit of useful connectivity".
  • Each Starlink costs more to launch than it does to make, even with the reused Falcon 9.
Assuming a launch cost of $20m for a reused Falcon, these updates suggest a c.$333k launch cost per satellite and below $333k production cost. I don't see how Oneweb competes with this when it looks like they are paying $50m per launch of c.30 satellites (so $1.7m per satellite, which are also much smaller), with an initial production cost of $1m (targeting $0.5m) and what looks like only 60% of Starlink's bandwidth per satellite (implied by numbers here Musk says Starlink “economically viable” with around 1,000 satellites - SpaceNews.com). So it looks like SpaceX capex cost per Gigabit/second is at least 6x lower, perhaps 10x.
If this satellite deployment goes well, I expect Elon will be thinking the global satellite broadband race is also "Game, set and match".

Everyday astronaut put together a good post about the conference call SpaceX did. Lots of nice tidbits. here
Thanks for posting all that! Lots of great information. From a personal perspective, my favorite part is; “Just plug it in and it works! Woah. It will work on mobile devices like car or plane or boat.”

Would be fantastic to have for use with my travel trailer.

Looked at from a larger perspective, this is the best part: “They see this as a key stepping stone to establishing revenue for advanced rockets and a self sustaining city on Mars...internet connectivity revenue could be around $30 billion”.

That will pay for a lot of Starships.

Thanks for posting all that! Lots of great information. From a personal perspective, my favorite part is; “Just plug it in and it works! Woah. It will work on mobile devices like car or plane or boat.”

Looked at from a larger perspective, this is the best part: “They see this as a key stepping stone to establishing revenue for advanced rockets and a self sustaining city on Mars...internet connectivity revenue could be around $30 billion”.

My favorites.

There’s more solar power in those 60 satellites than on the entire ISS.

They’re going to rotate the 2nd stage to initiate the deploy sequence and we should be able to watch it. This is REALLY COOL to me!

A twitter user replied to everyday astronaut that he had already tried simulating this in KSP and put up a little video. Fascinating to watch if nothing else. At 1:45 deploy begins. He demonstrates 1 set of deployment without spin, things break. At 1:50 he begins rotation and deployment. Only thing I would guess is that SpaceX would orient the 2nd stage to be perpendicular to the surface of earth before beginning the rotation so the satellites all deploy at the same altitude.

Last edited:

...and airliners going missing will be a thing of the past.
Robin