Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of dirt do the penguins have on Musk?

no penguins in Alaska, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Scotland, Greenland and such. Those sats go north south but they also rotate east west in effect so they service almost the entire earths surface. Though it is more important for the people more than 53 degrees north or south since the first layer of the network covers most of us.

Your service in Virginia is coming very very soon. Maybe this picture would help on that front, quite a few new ground stations have been listed recently.

Wise, NC and Mandale, NC being the two closest to VA.

i6t35n7m82g61.png

Isn't the lowest latitude so far about 44? And Virginia starts in low 39?
Yes 44 is the current low point. I'm at 43.56, and got turned down.
I live too far south (funny when a Canadian says that, isn't it)

But

On a similar thread on this site (Canada) a person in London Ontario, Latitude 42.98 got service. Hmmmmm.

Reactions: bhzmark
a snapshot of the orbits. Reminder: orbits shift from left to right (or is it right to left), either way that lone "polar" orbit will cover the entire map, just takes several days to work it's way around so those regions only get coverage for a few minutes here and ther

Bit pedantic but...both.

The inclined/prograde orbit sats have a westward precession of about 4.5 degrees/day and the polar/retrograde orbit sats have an eastward precession of about 1 degree/day. Its also useful to note that the earth's rotation effectively moves everything ~24 degrees eastward under every ~94 min Starlink orbit, and that's going to be the primary variable in when/where the polar test sats can provide service (as opposed to precession). That per-orbit rotation is the phenomenon that draws the classic ISS (and other) orbit projection maps, where successive orbits effectively step westward over a fixed mercator map.

upload_2021-2-8_8-43-1.png

Anyway, right now polar testing will be many minutes of service followed by some hours of blackout. Gut feel says Starlink will need maybe 200-300 polar sats to start offering beta service in the northern [sparsely] populated land masses like Alaska and Scandinavia, though (for instance) they'll probably only need a quarter of that or less for full coverage at Amundsen-Scott. Good PR dropping a few terminals down there too. And, near as I know, there are no 5G bats in Antartica to screw it all up.

Its a two-dimensional lottery, not just latitude. Latitude is important of course, as that's the first order analysis of whether or not there's statistically useful satellite coverage over a region to provide beta service. However, the closer one is to a ground station the lower one's latitude can be while still receiving materially useful service, even below current "low latitude" beta testers. Its pretty straightforward geometry where a user, a ground station, and a [non ISL] satellite all need covisibility for the user to receive service. The closer one is to the ground station, the more the geometry just becomes "can the ground station and satellite see each other".

Last edited:

44 hasn't been the limit in a while. 43, 42, and 41 aren't that uncommon now

as mentioned above https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/kxros6/list_of_starlink_beta_invite_locations/ is a good place to look, you'll see service marching south at a steady pace, rumblings are that a bunch of new ground stations just went live so invites will be coming...

also VA already has some service

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/lb0cxl/45_households_in_va_receive_starlink/

Wise County's location of 36.58 degrees north is well below 39.

you just have to get used to the idea that this is a moving target, whatever southern limit there was last week or last month isn't the southern limit today or next week or next month.

here is a snapshot from this morning, know that it'll likely be outdated in a few hours or a day or two

upload_2021-2-8_12-6-24.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Looks like anyone north of 39 in the US is getting to order the kit near $600 and full sign up, anyone further south in the US or in other countries gets a $99, 99 euro, whatever equivalent deposit and a time estimate that varies by location.

Like I said earlier today the bar is moving and Virginia doesn't have long to wait (neither does anyone else in the US between 37N and 53N)

Someone in KY at 37.x N got a full kit.

>Availability is limited. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.

Last edited:
Looks like anyone north of 39 in the US is getting to order the kit near $600 and full sign up, anyone further south in the US or in other countries gets a $99, 99 euro, whatever equivalent deposit and a time estimate that varies by location.

Like I said earlier today the bar is moving and Virginia doesn't have long to wait (neither does anyone else in the US between 37N and 53N)

Someone in KY at 37.x N got a full kit.

>Availability is limited. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.

I think it also depends on ground station capacity. I'm at 45.6 degrees and when I ordered it said available mid to late 2021 (Washington State).

I'm in southern Vermont and placed an order which required $99 deposit.

Does anyone know whether Starlink frequencies are more or less disrupted by trees in the area of the house compared to sat TV from companies like Dish and DirecTV? Does snow collecting on top of dish block signal from/to the sats?
Thanks in advance for any info.

I'm in southern Vermont and placed an order which required $99 deposit.

Does anyone know whether Starlink frequencies are more or less disrupted by trees in the area of the house compared to sat TV from companies like Dish and DirecTV? Does snow collecting on top of dish block signal from/to the sats?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Trees will almost certainly be an issue. From some videos I've seen it looks like the app has a way to show you what part of the sky should be clear of obstructions. i.e. at 7m20s :

As for snow collecting, the dish is self heating and flat, it should keep free snow/ice buildup, it will just run off as water.