Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How satellite ‘megaconstellations’ will photobomb astronomy images

A friend of mine forwarded this to me. Is this a hit piece or is it genuine news/research and SpaceX just comes off quite badly?

I mean, in one sentence they write about high-flying satellites being the problem, then segue straight into discussion of Starlink, which AFAIK are not high-flying satellites.

Unless they mean high-flying in the way that all satellites are higher up than all airplanes, in which case sure, Starlink is in the discussion.

I mean, in one sentence they write about high-flying satellites being the problem, then segue straight into discussion of Starlink, which AFAIK are not high-flying satellites.
To me the Starlink sats are in fact “high-flying satellites”.

The concerns of astronomers are legitimate, in my opinion. While SpaceX can reduce the reflectivity of the sats they cannot eliminate it and the planned constellation size is two orders of magnitude greater than anything that currently exists.

That said, long term, cutting-edge astronomy is going to move to space for a variety of reasons, a process which has already started. With SpaceX driving down launch costs (and Starship will be able to launch a massive space telescope for maybe less than $20 million) we need to work on reducing the cost of space telescopes.

A good read about the report from a working group: SpaceX satellites’ effect on night sky can’t be eliminated, astronomers say
The report resulted from the recent Satellite Constellations 1 (SATCON1) workshop, which was organized jointly by the National Science Foundation's NOIRLab and the American Astronomical Society (AAS). SpaceX engineers participated in the online workshop, but the report was written by members of the SATCON1 Scientific Organizing Committee and represents their consensus views.

Reactions: dwolvin
It's worth mentioning that (as listed in the ArsTechnica story) Starlink sats are considered 'Low altitude' for this case. They are in the shadow of the Earth during most of the prime observation time, only causing trouble the hours closest to the terminator. I think that with a little good faith effort on both sides this can be a pretty easy fix, and hopefully also for the higher sats (like OneWeb) with some visor / shade work.

Reactions: mongo
You can't leave the entire night sky to astronomers.
Agreed. But for centuries they have become used to not having to deal with physical obstacles getting in the way of their observations and they are really annoyed. Of course over the past century they have had to deal with and overcome human-caused “light pollution”, but now they have a new problem.

Change is hard. Time to move the observing work out into space.

SpaceX launches 12th Starlink mission, says users getting 100Mbps downloads

I've seen a few articles in the past 24h that have reported on the 100+ Mbs download speeds and "low latency", but haven't provided anything concrete.

Has anyone seen anything like newer speedtests that would show improvement upon the earlier, leaked speedtest.net results?
Capture.JPG

Reactions: bkp_duke
Right, I saw that. Just wondering if we have seen any more speedtest.net results to verify the claims. I'm a "hard data" kind of guy, and just wanted to see something to counter the sub-100Mbs results that are already posted on speedtest.net.

speedtest.net is notoriously inconsistent. I'm on a lightly loaded 1 gbps fiber network and I can rarely see speeds greater than 500 mbps. I suspect the speedtest servers are getting constantly hammered and can't keep up with fast Internet connections. If these ISPs had any brains, they'd install a dedicated speedtest server in their core data centers so their customers would see fast speedtest times, but maybe they don't want the extra bandwidth load either.

speedtest.net is notoriously inconsistent. I'm on a lightly loaded 1 gbps fiber network and I can rarely see speeds greater than 500 mbps. I suspect the speedtest servers are getting constantly hammered and can't keep up with fast Internet connections. If these ISPs had any brains, they'd install a dedicated speedtest server in their core data centers so their customers would see fast speedtest times, but maybe they don't want the extra bandwidth load either.

I host multiple speedtest.net servers for the company I own. Most of the time the only way to get a true representation of line connection is to select the server hosted by your ISP, as ISP to ISP connections really throttle the results.

With that said, to date I would have expected to see more starlink results in speedtest.net showing 100+ Mbs results, so that was the crux of my question.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare and bmah
This may seem off-topic but it is not:
Earlier today I was reminded that until early 1998 I was severely hampered by total lack of communication from an island in the Bahamas I then owned. My work at the time demanded constant telephone contact,so I was often forced to take a half hour boat ride to the nearest large island then drive another half hour to get to a telephone. Then an acquaintance who worked with Hughes told me about a new service called Iridium. It had a ~10 pound base station, a sizable antenna and an instrument not unlike the Motorola DynaTac I had been using around ~1985. I bought it and subscribed. The hardware cost thousands and the subscription was hundreds per month plus a few dollars a minute. The lags were horrendous but I had a telephone. Then a year later while I was off-island and my spouse there, Hurricane Floyd hit our island as a strong Category 4. We had power thanks to our solar system, and iridium worked too, so my spouse and I did maintain contact.

Now think of how many places in the world there are which are out off reach for traditional communication services plus ships and airplanes. These days many of those have some form of Satellite communication available but often at very high cost and high latency. Now comes Starlink.

Nearly all the discussions about Starlink emphasize better service where existing ones are deficient, expensive and unreliable. I think the most profitable single category for Starlink will be those. The second one will be emergency services (e.g. Washington State) plus military and governmental communication. Only third will be the one we all think about, our homes and better internet plus perhaps our cars.

All this seems likely to be 3-5 years out for anything remotely like global coverage, with the majority of that time dealing with regulatory impediments and point-of-use sales/service/feature issues occupying most of the time. Soon it will be time to try to quantify this potential.

I suspect Elon thinks of going public once the bulk of all this is appearing and any foolish analyst could see it. This market will be much like Autobidder, and not unlike the growth of near global conversion to BEV. Competition is already emerging but not very quickly and not yet scaling. The biggest single competitor might just be Amazon.

This may seem off-topic but it is not:
Earlier today I was reminded that until early 1998 I was severely hampered by total lack of communication from an island in the Bahamas I then owned. My work at the time demanded constant telephone contact,so I was often forced to take a half hour boat ride to the nearest large island then drive another half hour to get to a telephone. Then an acquaintance who worked with Hughes told me about a new service called Iridium. It had a ~10 pound base station, a sizable antenna and an instrument not unlike the Motorola DynaTac I had been using around ~1985. I bought it and subscribed. The hardware cost thousands and the subscription was hundreds per month plus a few dollars a minute. The lags were horrendous but I had a telephone. Then a year later while I was off-island and my spouse there, Hurricane Floyd hit our island as a strong Category 4. We had power thanks to our solar system, and iridium worked too, so my spouse and I did maintain contact.

Now think of how many places in the world there are which are out off reach for traditional communication services plus ships and airplanes. These days many of those have some form of Satellite communication available but often at very high cost and high latency. Now comes Starlink.

Nearly all the discussions about Starlink emphasize better service where existing ones are deficient, expensive and unreliable. I think the most profitable single category for Starlink will be those. The second one will be emergency services (e.g. Washington State) plus military and governmental communication. Only third will be the one we all think about, our homes and better internet plus perhaps our cars.

All this seems likely to be 3-5 years out for anything remotely like global coverage, with the majority of that time dealing with regulatory impediments and point-of-use sales/service/feature issues occupying most of the time. Soon it will be time to try to quantify this potential.

I suspect Elon thinks of going public once the bulk of all this is appearing and any foolish analyst could see it. This market will be much like Autobidder, and not unlike the growth of near global conversion to BEV. Competition is already emerging but not very quickly and not yet scaling. The biggest single competitor might just be Amazon.

Yes, and all that implies a pretty highly monthly subscription fee. I suspect people will be disappointed when they see how expensive it will be. As Elon has emphasized he wants Starlink to be the first Internet satellite company to not go bankrupt.

Reactions: Grendal
Yes, and all that implies a pretty highly monthly subscription fee. I suspect people will be disappointed when they see how expensive it will be. As Elon has emphasized he wants Starlink to be the first Internet satellite company to not go bankrupt.

Plus, knowing Elon and his ways, I'd expect that more wealthy users will cover the cost of more, off the grid, less wealthy users. Maybe.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
No doubt. I'm sure Starlink will be far cheaper than are typical alternatives so those off-grid-style buyers will not begrudge high margins, just as 'P' buyers queue for their (our) chosen desire.

Verizon seems to do this for FIOS at least.

Disclaimer: I haven't hunted down the ARIN data for the servers in question, but they host a speedtest on their page that's not on obvious re-direct elsewhere...

I host multiple speedtest.net servers for the company I own. Most of the time the only way to get a true representation of line connection is to select the server hosted by your ISP, as ISP to ISP connections really throttle the results.

With that said, to date I would have expected to see more starlink results in speedtest.net showing 100+ Mbs results, so that was the crux of my question.
I just saw a post about 122 Mbps (the previous 25 on https://testmy.net/host-history/spacex_starlink )..

Reactions: bkp_duke
Washington emergency responders first to use SpaceX's Starlink internet in the field: 'It's amazing'
Starlink use case highlighting:
Faster to set up
Faster data speeds
Lower latency

Great article. The Washington state emergency services group has been using Starlink in a bunch of different ways including giving wildfire affected families immediate access to phone and Internet, and even connecting some children to their online schools.

Set up is quick, it’s reliable, has low latency, not too picky about perfect north sky access. And it stacks up head and shoulders above anything else these agencies have.

All sorts of emergency response agencies have been asking about it, but, of course, SpaceX needs to launch more satellites to get wider coverage.

Looks like SpaceX has another hit on their hands (but we all knew that anyways).