Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious as to how they decide who gets to beta test and who doesn't? I signed up really early on, live in Washington, but also live in a fairly forested area. I just downloaded the app and will do the "vision test" today on top of my roof. I'm curious as to what it will tell me. I wonder if they have staff look at satellite imagery at each potential beta test location and if they are near trees they skip over you. I think I will have a pretty high angle of view, more towards 45 degrees in some spots so I might just have to wait until the density increases.

There's a national foliage database that basically breaks up USA land mass into small lat/long chunks and assigns a foliage type (grassland, deciduous forest, etc.); Its possible they're leveraging that database for giving out the initial beta golden tickets. As time moves on and more sats are operational it makes it easier for the constellation to maintain user connections in partial coverage areas (since satellite density will be higher) so one might expect corollary expansion of the user base. Higher latitude users (up to mid-50's ish) will always be in better off as satellite density will always be the highest in that region, and those users (Northern USA and Southern Hat) will almost always connect to sats at higher look angles than someone in the southern USA. That means those folks can always have a more obstructed view than more southernly folks and still get service.

IMHO, the UT will constantly be mapping its field of view and feeding that back to The Machine so The Machine can most efficiently route traffic, plan coverage, etc.

While its hard to consider The Hughes Guy and Tim Farrar as impartial to SpaceX, there's quite a bit of interesting stuff in this article, including elaboration on a business model as well as the next-gen Starlink.

The mention of Japan is curious, as their generally very dense population and tech-leaning culture has resulted in a significant percentage of the population getting excellent service.

Back on the UTs, they're right that a phased array is mad expensive, but its hard to imagine Starlink booking their UTs as a cost center. I think Starlink has approval for like 8 or 9 million (?) UTs in America, and there's probably going to be half that again for the rest of the world, and that seems like a pretty healthy amount of units over which they can average cost.

Its certainly fair to assume Starlink isn't fixin' on UTs being a profit center (that doesn't seem like something Elon would agree to), and its probably ok to assume that Starlink won't materially change their UT buy-in, so all that spits out the corollary that $500 is probably +/- their predicted average cost for their predicted number of UTs.

Those are not pizza box sized.

You are looking at the small antennas, right?
It's 19" (0.48m), based on filings.
Large US pizzas are 18". I don't think it's much of a stretch.

It's not like people are going to complain. Domestic satellite dishes were 0.6m minimum in the analog days. I had a 1m dish with a motorized setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: scaesare
While its hard to consider The Hughes Guy and Tim Farrar as impartial to SpaceX, there's quite a bit of interesting stuff in this article, including elaboration on a business model as well as the next-gen Starlink.

The mention of Japan is curious, as their generally very dense population and tech-leaning culture has resulted in a significant percentage of the population getting excellent service.

Back on the UTs, they're right that a phased array is mad expensive, but its hard to imagine Starlink booking their UTs as a cost center. I think Starlink has approval for like 8 or 9 million (?) UTs in America, and there's probably going to be half that again for the rest of the world, and that seems like a pretty healthy amount of units over which they can average cost.

Its certainly fair to assume Starlink isn't fixin' on UTs being a profit center (that doesn't seem like something Elon would agree to), and its probably ok to assume that Starlink won't materially change their UT buy-in, so all that spits out the corollary that $500 is probably +/- their predicted average cost for their predicted number of UTs.

Wouldn't it make sense that SpaceX has their own custom chip for driving the phased array of the UT and a larger version (more channels/ elements) for the satellites?
After development NRE, cost is die size, process, and yield.

Lots of great info in that reddit AMA. My favs:

How do you think the speeds we're currently seeing from beta users will hold up once Starlink goes public and a lot more people are subscribed?

This is not going to be like your regular satellite internet where it gets way too crowded--as we launch more satellites over time the network will get increasingly great, not increasingly worse.

——

Could you settle the debate over whether the dish has a heater?

The Starlink does have self-heating capabilities to deal with a variety of weather conditions. In fact, we'll be deploying a software update in a few weeks to upgrade our snow melting ability.

——

So we really don't want to implement restrictive data caps like people have encountered with satellite internet in the past. Right now we're still trying to figure a lot of stuff out--we might have to do something in the future to prevent abuse and just ensure that everyone else gets quality service.

——

We tell satellites what their final orbital slot is and they figure out how to get there. For collision avoidance, we upload data on close approaches to relevant satellites multiple times a day, and the satellites then calculate on their own when and how to dodge something, if necessary. (Shout out to the 18th Space Control Squadron for being really awesome partners here!)

——

The Starlink actually has no knowledge of the satellites when it powers on; the constellation is updating all the time so this would be difficult to keep up to date. The Starlink is able to electronically scan the sky in a matter of milliseconds and lock into the satellite overhead, even though its travelling 17,500 mph overhead.

When it detects a satellite the Starlink hones in on its position and makes a request to join the internet. After that the dish is able to download a schedule of which satellites to talk to next and with that it can point right at the satellites when the time comes.

——

The speed of light is faster in vacuum than in fiber, so the space lasers have exciting potential for low latency links. They will also allow us to serve users where the satellites can't see a terrestrial gateway antenna - for example, over the ocean and in regions badly connected by fiber.

We did have an exciting flight test earlier this year with prototype space lasers on two Starlink satellites that managed to transmit gigabytes of data. But bringing down the cost of the space lasers and producing a lot of them fast is a really hard problem that the team is still working on.

Does it even matter? These are for the rural markets and even if they were double the size I'm sure people can find room for them. This is also gen 1 so I'm sure they can shrink more later on if prioritized.

Yes it does matter. They are going to be mounted on roofs, some people were talking about putting them on vehicles.

The current ones don't look like they would stand up to a storm.

Wouldn't it make sense that SpaceX has their own custom chip for driving the phased array of the UT and a larger version (more channels/ elements) for the satellites?
After development NRE, cost is die size, process, and yield.

Probably not, no. RF chips are complex to design and difficult to test. Then they have to get world wide approval which is extremely expensive.

One of the reason there are so few cellular chips available is because only a few companies have the resources to design them and get them certified.