Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fwiw I'm at 35.938 N and I'm still seeing the "targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021" but with Kentucky, Kansas, and Virginia already seeing service I don't expect to have to wait long.

edit: “Due to increased order volume, orders may take 1-2 months to ship.” That should give you an idea on how quickly they'll march south. The limit now is making enough dishes and shipping the kits out, not the satellites. Ground stations could still be a limiting factor in some areas.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: adiggs and Grendal
Got Starlink because, among other reasons, my cable internet is not great and I hoped for improved performance of a particular networked device. Good news is download and upload speeds and latency are better and so far uptime is on par. The device uses a local DNS name and does not work with the Starlink router (but does work when I use my own router). I suspect that DNS Rebinding Protection is active as this could cause the problem I am seeing on the device but have no way to check. Waiting for an answer from Starlink. My own router does not have that as an option. In general, so far so good.

Got mine today. There’s feet of snow outside. As soon as I can I’ll get it on the roof. When we bought the house a few years back there was a Dish network dish up there. Can’t wait to rip that down and replace it with this.

My lat is 41.2727

D14DEBEC-7027-418F-87FD-8032AD4EFE4F.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: EVCollies
They must be in final orbit to become operative.
I had the impression that green circles were active or operational, but yellow circles were still maneuvering to their final orbit and were not operational. But, if I select "active" rather than "any" on the starlink satellite map, it shows both green and yellow circles, but does not show the yellow circle "trains" that were obviously recently launched. Are the yellow circles show as "active" operational?

well, not easy to answer. For sure, during the first 15 or so launches they had to wait for final orbit before being operational.
In the recent weeks, a few satellite that where already at their allotted altitude have started to slowly move. It is not clear if this slowly moving ones are operational or not, most probably yes.
You can check this animation, and the ensuing discussion.

In the recent weeks, a few satellite that where already at their allotted altitude have started to slowly move. It is not clear if this slowly moving ones are operational or not, most probably yes.

They could be repositioning those sats to a slightly lower altitude, which seems plausible given the bananas amount of conjunctions the constellation is going to have. Eccentricity is pretty easy to manage, so you don't need too many km between shells to implement what intuitively seems like a sensible way to reduce conjunctions and corollary COLAs.

Speculating here, but especially if they're planning on populating the inclined shells with ISLs (which to my knowledge, they are) it makes sense to move non-ISL sats out of the prime altitude at some point. For some really hand-wavey Monday morning math, at least one column of the "slow" moving sats (which FWIW are technically moving faster than the static sats) seem to be sliding at about 3°/day relative to the static sats, which means they're ~2-2.5km lower than those "static" sats.

Circling back on the original question, It is almost certain that the "slow" moving satellites that are ~at service altitude are indeed providing service. While satellites do not have a license to operate service in non-service orbits, like orbit raising and material repositioning (there are all manner of coordination efforts that would be a mess for a short and transient timeframe), being a few km offset is still within the ITU/FCC window.

• Informative
Reactions: f205v and mspohr
The Starlink reddit has pictures of the dish almost completely buried under snow, and it keeps working. The dish stays warm when operating, so snow and ice usually melt off it over time (although it tends to get an icicle beard over time).
That's due to it having active heating elements in addition to just the actual communication electronics as I understand it.