Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had our first thunderstorm here in SE PA last night and it did affect my service during the duration. It was extremely heavy rain though..... Still way way better then my AT&T lte service!
I'm also in SE PA and we had storms this weekend. My Starlink speeds slowed down to about half but it never dropped out completely. I'm happy with that since half of Starlink is still over 10 times faster than what my Windstream DSL can provide! :D

Reactions: Ralbright
Near as makes no difference, weather related GEO service issues are exclusively a function of improper dish installation.

Near as makes no difference, it is virtually impossible to improperly install a Starlink terminal.

You've asserted this before, and I've responded with examples where this was untrue. Others have chimed in similarly.

Just had our first thunderstorm here in SE PA last night and it did affect my service during the duration. It was extremely heavy rain though..... Still way way better then my AT&T lte service!
I'm also in SE PA and we had storms this weekend. My Starlink speeds slowed down to about half but it never dropped out completely. I'

Now you have two additional examples here.

This is a great article with lots of news information about Starlink from Shotwell. Link and some quotes:

“We still have a lot of work to do to make the network reliable,” Shotwell said. “We still have drops, not necessarily just because of where the satellites are in the sky. So we’ll move off of beta when we have a really great product that we are very proud of.

“Most of the folks that have signed up on the beta program … either were completely disconnected and desperate and just loving the fact that they can do anything online, or they’re pretty tech savvy folks who are testing the network, giving us feedback,” she said. “So I think the beta phase is very helpful.”
It is...thanks @Cosmacelf .

I commented before on SpaceX's prodigious satellite building rate (i.e.- their "Machine that builds the machine"), and from that article"

"SpaceX builds the Starlink satellites at a factory in Redmond, Washington. SpaceX officials said last year the assembly line can produce as many as six Starlink satellites per day."

That's crazy.... approaching a couple of hundred a month assuming 7 days/wk production!

You've asserted this before, and I've responded with examples where this was untrue. Others have chimed in similarly.

Now you have two additional examples here.

Two people have cited beta Starlink service outage concurrent with weather loss.

1) Obviously these beta service reports are irrelevant to GEO service performance

2) No impartial analysis would use these beta service reports as evidence that production Starlink service will suffer weather degradation/outages. There are many plausible reasons for these beta service issues—both coincidental with the weather and as a direct/indirect result of the weather—and none of them are proof that production service will suffer the same issues.

Two people have cited beta Starlink service outage concurrent with weather loss.

1) Obviously these beta service reports are irrelevant to GEO service performance

If you are saying the reports are useless because the system is beta, why?

If you are saying the reports are worthless because the system is non-GEO, then why did you earlier tie the two together when you said:

"Near as makes no difference, weather related GEO service issues are exclusively a function of improper dish installation. Near as makes no difference, it is virtually impossible to improperly install a Starlink terminal."

2) No impartial analysis would use these beta service reports as evidence that production Starlink service will suffer weather degradation/outages. There are many plausible reasons for these beta service issues—both coincidental with the weather and as a direct/indirect result of the weather—and none of them are proof that production service will suffer the same issues.

The very nature of beta programs is to assess performance impact in actual operating circumstances. Shotwell said as much in the article posted a bit ago.

As you state that it's impossible to aim a Starlink dish incorrectly, we therefore rule out improper aiming, no? As Starlink does not yet have 100% coverage, and that incurs outages not speed reduction, then we also rule that out, no? Yet at the time of the service degradation there was severe weather, it not impossible to rule that in, no?

Certainly correlation does not imply causation. But it doesn't exclude it either.

If you are saying the reports are useless because the system is beta, why?

I'm saying it is a false positive to suggest anomalies encountered in a proto/beta/early phase will be representative of a product's steady state production phase, and it does a disservice to not overtly include context in discussion of those anomalies. That's the way product development works...not just Starlink, but any kind of product.

Even if Starlink beta service anomalies can be directly correlated to a weather event (maybe the rain fade offset is poorly calibrated, etc.), that does not mean that same anomaly will be present in production service. The whole point of beta is to ferret out those issues so they can be fixed before going live. For instance, maybe they find very low elevation look angles can't keep the signal strong enough in heavy precipitation scenarios--so maybe they reconfigure the system to a higher minimum elevation for users. And maybe that causes them to better predict weather events so they can better prepare the satellites for a pass over those weather events (max battery capacity, minimum platform temps, whatever) such that for the few minutes a satellite is over a weather event it can--as a node in the constellation--enable the constellation to still provide its users full service.

Beyond that, there's plenty of plausible scenarios where weather is only an indirect cause (perhaps flooding at the local gateway resulted in a partial outage--maybe a few antennas went down or something and the user link had to drop to a lower, more lossy elevation through another gateway) or a completely coincidental phenomenon (asymmetry of the incomplete constellation constantly manifests as ebbs and flows of very time based coverage and available throughput for any point on the ground).

If you are saying the reports are worthless because the system is non-GEO, then why did you earlier tie the two together when you said:

"Near as makes no difference, weather related GEO service issues are exclusively a function of improper dish installation. Near as makes no difference, it is virtually impossible to improperly install a Starlink terminal."

Someone was worried that their GEO experience from 20 years ago would still be an issue with beta service; my response contests [and addresses] the right question to ask, which is "will my shitty GEO experience from 20 years ago be representative of Starlink production service".

To wit, my first model S was on its third (or fourth?) drive unit when I sold it. That does not mean I'm at all concerned with the drive units of my current Tesla or any Tesla I may buy in the future, and it does a disservice for me to highlight early drive unit failures in conversation unless in the specific context of a scenario that's not representative of the present Tesla product.

All that said, I will clarify the earlier statement of mine: In the bucket of "improper GEO dish installation" I'd also lump in improper location (so, occlusion) and improper user equipment (cabling, power, etc.). I can appreciate that my "virtually impossible" statement implies those failure modes are not a factor with Starlink; they are indeed very much a factor with Starlink. If one puts their starlink dish next to a building or under a tree or hooks it up with recycled knob and tube wiring or whatever then, yeah, service degradation/outages are definitely possible.

Reactions: abasile
I'm saying it is a false positive to suggest anomalies encountered in a proto/beta/early phase will be representative of a product's steady state production phase, and it does a disservice to not overtly include context in discussion of those anomalies. That's the way product development works...not just Starlink, but any kind of product.

Even if Starlink beta service anomalies can be directly correlated to a weather event (maybe the rain fade offset is poorly calibrated, etc.), that does not mean that same anomaly will be present in production service. The whole point of beta is to ferret out those issues so they can be fixed before going live. For instance, maybe they find very low elevation look angles can't keep the signal strong enough in heavy precipitation scenarios--so maybe they reconfigure the system to a higher minimum elevation for users. And maybe that causes them to better predict weather events so they can better prepare the satellites for a pass over those weather events (max battery capacity, minimum platform temps, whatever) such that for the few minutes a satellite is over a weather event it can--as a node in the constellation--enable the constellation to still provide its users full service.

Beyond that, there's plenty of plausible scenarios where weather is only an indirect cause (perhaps flooding at the local gateway resulted in a partial outage--maybe a few antennas went down or something and the user link had to drop to a lower, more lossy elevation through another gateway) or a completely coincidental phenomenon (asymmetry of the incomplete constellation constantly manifests as ebbs and flows of very time based coverage and available throughput for any point on the ground).

Someone was worried that their GEO experience from 20 years ago would still be an issue with beta service; my response contests [and addresses] the right question to ask, which is "will my shitty GEO experience from 20 years ago be representative of Starlink production service".

To wit, my first model S was on its third (or fourth?) drive unit when I sold it. That does not mean I'm at all concerned with the drive units of my current Tesla or any Tesla I may buy in the future, and it does a disservice for me to highlight early drive unit failures in conversation unless in the specific context of a scenario that's not representative of the present Tesla product.

All that said, I will clarify the earlier statement of mine: In the bucket of "improper GEO dish installation" I'd also lump in improper location (so, occlusion) and improper user equipment (cabling, power, etc.). I can appreciate that my "virtually impossible" statement implies those failure modes are not a factor with Starlink; they are indeed very much a factor with Starlink. If one puts their starlink dish next to a building or under a tree or hooks it up with recycled knob and tube wiring or whatever then, yeah, service degradation/outages are definitely possible.

Then surely satellite operators/service providers who ostensibly have a clue wouldn't publish anything outlining the issues associated with weather-induced degradation.

Oh... wait. They do:

How weather can affect satellite communications

What is Rain Fade? - BusinessCom Networks

• Funny
Reactions: bxr140
Interesting info about laser links:

Among those technology improvements is the incorporation of laser intersatellite links. Shotwell said the company has already tested two generations of that technology on some of its satellites. “The first ones that we flew were very expensive. The second round of technology that we flew was less expensive,” she said.

A third generation of laser intersatellite links will start flying “in the next few months,” she said. She didn’t elaborate on those plans, but it’s likely those will be included on satellite the company is preparing to launch to polar orbits. The new technology, she said, will be able to operate over longer distances and provide high bandwidth, while being “much less expensive” than earlier versions.

Starlink going mobile by end of year, wiht current dishes!

Also a good write up on current status of Starlink.

The article makes it clear that they're working on a separate solution for truly mobile use.

But just allow the current dish to be used in multiple locations it'd still be of great value to RV owners and sailors.

Yes, there are a bunch of software updates coming that will improve Starlink. The biggest will be one that helps with obstructions. Currently, which bird you are communicating with is pre defined. Dishy will track satellite A, and only switch to satellite B based on a global allocation algorithm. But A’s path might be partially blocked by trees. The new software will allow dishy’s local software to switch over to satellite B if sat A become unreliable, if B is also in the sky.

Among other reasons, that’s why the system is still in beta.

Reactions: RabidYak and house9

Acting FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel asked colleagues to vote for the plan ... SpaceX [had previously] asked [and was granted permission] to fly 2,824 Starlink satellites in the lower orbit, where the company already has permission to operate 1,584 spacecraft. With the change, the 4,408 satellites could orbit at an altitude of roughly 540 to 570 kilometers (335 to 354 miles). The zone is just below that assigned to Project Kuiper’s fleet.

I really think Elon's outsized personally and goodwill he has garnered over the years (talk to anyone under the age of 25, and you'll get admiration about Elon) is helping his companies tremendously.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
And the wins keep on coming. The FCC voted to approve SpaceX's request to launch the 2,800 satellites approved for an about 1,100 km orbit down to the existing approx. 550 Km orbit of their current satellites. In total, SpaceX now has approval to orbit 4,400 satellites at their preferred orbital height. I believe this also gives approval for polar orbits at that altitude, and finally also approves 25 degrees elevation for user terminals and gateways, basically giving Starlink more open sky to beam through.

Last edited:
And the wins keep on coming. The FCC voted to approve SpaceX's request to launch the 2,800 satellites approved for an about 1,100 km orbit down to the existing approx. 550 Km orbit of their current satellites. In total, SpaceX now has approval to orbit 4,400 satellites at their preferred orbital height. I believe this also gives approval for polar orbits at that altitude, and finally also approves 25 degrees elevation for user terminals and gateways, basically giving Starlink more open sky to beam through.

OMG, can Amazon do anything right?

Kepler and Kuiper submitted pleadings titled “petitions to deny,” which we will consider informal objections because they lack an affidavit required by our rules;

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
3rd party aggregated telemetry is definitely "a thing" in the Tesla community with TeslaFi and whatnot.
Maybe we can help starlink.sx come up with an app/web page/agent that reports lat long speed (or gets them from speedtest links) and crowdsoruce this info? that way you can easily do some interesting trends, jumps and causality analysis. E.g. with weather.

Q: manufacturing capacity of terminals . I have not reviewed all 80 pages of this thread, but was wondering if anyone has done some analysis of the terminal / antenna manufacturing velocity and ramp.

back of napkin, and sticking to consumer market of space intertubes, And direct delivery (not via MNOs or aggregators)
To get to. $1B/y revenue for consumer internet, Starlink will need to have ~833k customers. To get there within one year, it has to sustain 16k antennas manufactured and delivered per week. Let’s say the TAM is 10M consumers, at that rate they are taking 10 y to get there.

thoughts? Data?

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and RabidYak