Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ISS may use Starlink in the future.
It will be interesting to see if it is primary laser links or RF due to altitudes and orbits. I lean toward lasers.

Definitely fun thought experiment. I lean toward a space-rated UT, FWIW. I think its a more KISS solution (which is SpaceX's MO) and I think NASA will be much more receptive to RF comms. (To say nothing of some congress-dope screaming about SpaceX "shooting lasers at the ISS"...)

In both cases the ISS device would have to track ~similar trajectory starlinks flying "overhead", which seems feasible given the equivalent-ish inclinations. The big upside of the laser terminals is horizontal ranging, which makes contact with a trailing, leading, or adjacent-ish plane starlink a non-issue. Each link could remain locked for quite some time--possibly as long as an orbit or more. The big upside of simply mounting a UT-equivalent on the zenith side of the ISS is that the ISS literally just becomes another user to the Starlink constellation. (Intuitively there will be enough starlinks to actually give properly robust/redundant full-time coverage even with only ~100km difference in altitude)

Definitely fun thought experiment. I lean toward a space-rated UT, FWIW. I think its a more KISS solution (which is SpaceX's MO) and I think NASA will be much more receptive to RF comms. (To say nothing of some congress-dope screaming about SpaceX "shooting lasers at the ISS"...)

In both cases the ISS device would have to track ~similar trajectory starlinks flying "overhead", which seems feasible given the equivalent-ish inclinations. The big upside of the laser terminals is horizontal ranging, which makes contact with a trailing, leading, or adjacent-ish plane starlink a non-issue. Each link could remain locked for quite some time--possibly as long as an orbit or more. The big upside of simply mounting a UT-equivalent on the zenith side of the ISS is that the ISS literally just becomes another user to the Starlink constellation. (Intuitively there will be enough starlinks to actually give properly robust/redundant full-time coverage even with only ~100km difference in altitude)
Issues I wonder about:
How much of the constellation is below the ISS
Relative speed of the sats to ISS in the antenna envelope
Sat coverage given shorter distance to satellites (less swept region).

Laser to distant sat to reduce angular rate and avoid beam past seemed more usable.

Starship long range with laser would be cool.

Issues I wonder about:
How much of the constellation is below the ISS
Relative speed of the sats to ISS in the antenna envelope
Sat coverage given shorter distance to satellites (less swept region).

Definitely the current constellation doesn't close the gaps--and certainly if Starlink goes lower than ISS, having ISS act as a UT is a non-starter. But...I think the contemplated ph1 constellation gets there.

Downsides of ISL is that Starlink wold need to dedicate heads to point toward ISS, and ISS would generally need to be configured to act as a Starlink sat rather than a user (so, onboard modems, etc.).

Reactions: mongo
$25 a month extra for portability (best effort, not in motion )
What is Starlink's Portability Feature and Policy?

For an additional monthly fee, the Portability feature enables users to temporarily move their Starlink to new locations in order to receive service anywhere within the same continent Starlink provides active coverage. To see active coverage areas, please view the Starlink Availability Map. Portable users are served best effort and can expect lower service levels than fixed users, particularly in areas marked as "Waitlist" on the Availability Map.
Add Portability on Your Account:
  • If you are an active customer, you can enable Portability from your account page and it will take effect immediately.
  • If you have multiple Starlinks, Portability must be selected and purchased for each location.
  • When you enable Portability, you are charged on your next monthly invoice. Portability is charged in full monthly increments and cannot be pro-rated. The Portability feature and billing charges will be ongoing until you decide to disable it. Once you disable Portability, the recurring charge will stop after your next monthly invoice and Portability will only remain active for the remainder of the current billing cycle. For example, if you enable Portability on March 12th and your next billing date is on April 1st, you will be charged $25 on April 1st for the full previous month.
Limitations:
  • Best Effort Service: Portability service is provided on a best effort basis. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of services are not guaranteed. Starlink prioritizes network resources for users at their registered service address. When you bring your Starlink to a new location, this prioritization may result in degraded service, particularly at times of peak usage or network congestion.
  • International Travel: Starlink can only be used within the same continent as the registered Service Address. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you will be required to move your registered service address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain service.
  • No In-Motion Use: We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time. Using the Starlink Kit in motion will void the limited warranty of your Kit. While our teams are actively working to make it possible to use Starlink on moving vehicles (e.g., automobiles, RVs, boats), Starlink is not yet configured to be safely used in this way.

The no in-motion restriction sounds more like a legal and warranty issue than a technical issue. Basically, the dish has only been tested and certified for fixed use. They don't want idiots lightly strapping their dish on top of an RV and then having it ripped off going 70 MPH down the freeway and causing accidents. And I'm sure it hasn't been tested to get doused with seawater.

Anyways, this sounds like a great policy and a decent price too.

Is this just a way to prioritize delivery to waitlist people who will pay addl 35/mo and give them slower speeds in waitlist areas?
I don’t think that is the case. This new mobile Starlink offering is for people who want a dish they can move around. It does not have to stay at the service address and possibly may not even work at the service address if that address is in an urban/suburban area where there is currently a waitlist.

I’m only going to use it in the summer when I am on the road with my RV trailer. The fact that this new offering can be paused/unpaused as desired is perfect for me.

Reactions: jboy210
I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to get the new Starlink RV.

On the plus side I do plan on doing a fair amount of traveling in my Camper Van to places without much service.

On the flip side it's not really enough to justify such a massive upfront expense.

Ideally I could rent it and then see how it does.

I don’t think that is the case. This new mobile Starlink offering is for people who want a dish they can move around. It does not have to stay at the service address and possibly may not even work at the service address if that address is in an urban/suburban area where there is currently a waitlist.
Works anywhere Starlink is active (though slower in waitlist areas), so will work residentally. They are direct marketing to people on the waitlist.

Starlink Logo

Starlink Logo​
blocked
If you are receiving this email, you are currently on the waitlist for Starlink in your area. We are launching additional satellites as quickly as we can to expand network capacity in your region, and will fulfill your order as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we are now offering Starlink for RVs at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. Currently there is no waitlist - all orders will be shipped shortly after the order is placed, including to "Waitlist" areas on the Starlink Availability Map. You can pause and un-pause service at any time.

Users can expect high speed, low latency internet in areas marked "Available", and notably slower speeds during events with many collocated users, or during hours of peak usage in areas marked as "Waitlist”, where residential users are prioritized. Prioritizing residential makes it possible to offer Starlink for RVs immediately with minimal impact to the most loaded portions of the network.

You can order Starlink for RVs directly from www.starlink.com/rv or by selecting the "+" button under "Your Starlinks" on your account page. To learn more about Starlink for RVs, please read our FAQ page.

Thank you for being a supporter of Starlink!

The Starlink team

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220523-190859_Gmail.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220523-190859_Gmail.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I put myself on the Starlink waitlist a long time ago, never got a response (no doubt because I lived near San Francisco) and did not receive one of those ”Starlink for RVs” emails, I just saw the SpaceX tweet about it and immediately signed up through the link in the tweet.

The confirmation email I got from Starlink after making payment said I should receive the hardware by June 1st.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210