Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has said many times that there are no plans to take SpaceX public because the investment timeline for profits is much too long (decades). But I think the real reason is that he wants to maintain as much control as possible. I agree with him, SpaceX should not be a public company.

I agree unfortunately for us small time investors. Actually, I think Tesla going public so early in its evolution was not something Elon wanted, but was done due to pure necessity (they were about to go bankrupt and Elon didn't have any more capital to infuse).

Does anyone know if SpaceX has first right of refusal? I have a friend who's in a unique situation who'd like to sell his shares and I want to purchase his shares and am exploring 2 avenues to purchase his shares: 1.) SharesPost brokering 2.) have an attorney draw up the docs. I haven't seen SpaceX's Equity Incentive plan and wonder if there are any clauses prohibiting the sale of shares or if SpaceX has first right of refusal? It seems like it has been done in the past if SharesPost has their shares up.

I agree unfortunately for us small time investors. Actually, I think Tesla going public so early in its evolution was not something Elon wanted, but was done due to pure necessity (they were about to go bankrupt and Elon didn't have any more capital to infuse).

Ashlee Vance's biography of Elon Musk contains an email from Elon to SpaceX employees which basically says as much. The SpaceX timeline is too long for the short-term thinkers on Wall Street, and volatility of share price is a distraction for everyone in the company.

I am grateful for the opportunity to invest in TSLA, but I know it has to be painful for Elon to have to deal with all the nonsense that comes along with going public. Listening to some of the conference calls and idiotic questions from analysts who didn't do their homework makes me want to reach through the fiber network and punch the stuffing out of some of them. I imagine that morale at Tesla is to some degree affected by share price. The company's benefits package lists stock grants for top performers and stock purchase discounts for everyone. I'm betting that a fairly high % of employees at all levels own a stake in the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been discussed many times before: SpaceX investor's thread

tl;dr is that it is essentially impossible.

@blee321 -- over the past year Forge has had a few SpaceX shares available through SPVs (special purpose vehicles).

SPVs have unique risks above and beyond directly owning shares in a privately held company so I would definitely get advice from an experienced investment advisor and/or very experienced investors before even considering it.

If you do want to go that route you can put in a bid for SpaceX shares on the Forge website and if it's in the right range Forge will likely reach out to you if/when shares are available again. With Starlink ramping up I suspect they'll need to raise more $ relatively soon.

You must be an accredited investor and minimum investments are in the six figures.

Also, please feel free to DM me if you need more details.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
@blee321 -- over the past year Forge has had a few SpaceX shares available through SPVs (special purpose vehicles).

SPVs have unique risks above and beyond directly owning shares in a privately held company so I would definitely get advice from an experienced investment advisor and/or very experienced investors before even considering it.

If you do want to go that route you can put in a bid for SpaceX shares on the Forge website and if it's in the right range Forge will likely reach out to you if/when shares are available again. With Starlink ramping up I suspect they'll need to raise more $ relatively soon.

You must be an accredited investor and minimum investments are in the six figures.

Also, please feel free to DM me if you need more details.
Higher risk, and six-figure minimum? Ok...

Yeah not ideal. But this sort of arrangement may be the only viable way to invest since as others have noted it's virtually impossible to buy SpaceX shares directly.
would something like this $250 million raise make shares available or is it still pretty exclusive?

SpaceX is looking to raise about $250 million, valuing Elon Musk's space company at $36 billion
  • SpaceX is seeking to bring in about $250 million at a price of $220 a share, people familiar with the financing told CNBC.
  • The fundraising increases SpaceX’s market value to around $36 billion, those people said.

would something like this $250 million raise make shares available or is it still pretty exclusive?

SpaceX is looking to raise about $250 million, valuing Elon Musk's space company at $36 billion
  • SpaceX is seeking to bring in about $250 million at a price of $220 a share, people familiar with the financing told CNBC.
  • The fundraising increases SpaceX’s market value to around $36 billion, those people said.
It would be amazing to see some sort of direct offering using one of the newer stock platforms. I'm accredited but there aren't any shares of SpaceX available that I can see. I'd much prefer to buy SpaceX than fight over the Starlink IPO. I also don't want to stretch to put a full 100k in it.

It would be amazing to see some sort of direct offering using one of the newer stock platforms. I'm accredited but there aren't any shares of SpaceX available that I can see. I'd much prefer to buy SpaceX than fight over the Starlink IPO. I also don't want to stretch to put a full 100k in it.
I would be happy to put $100k into it. Are you saying that you know a way to do so? I can't find one.

Reactions: abasile and Grendal
I would be happy to put $100k into it. Are you saying that you know a way to do so? I can't find one.
Unfortunately no. I looked at a few of the non-public trading sites but they don't have any shares available. If I had the chance I'd pull the 100k together, but I'd prefer 50k. I fear it's a moot point for now at least. I did tweet Elon and ask him to figure out a way for us to buy some shares off employees considering we have Tesla gains in our pockets. ;)