Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would something like this $250 million raise make shares available or is it still pretty exclusive?

SpaceX is looking to raise about $250 million, valuing Elon Musk's space company at $36 billion
  • SpaceX is seeking to bring in about $250 million at a price of $220 a share, people familiar with the financing told CNBC.
  • The fundraising increases SpaceX’s market value to around $36 billion, those people said.

I am unaware of any shares available for direct investment on the secondary market. Forge and sharespost (and possibly others?) have special purpose vehicles available from time to time for accredited investors to invest in SpaceX but there are added significant risks/expenses associated with those, and minimums are usually well into the six figures or more:

SPVs have unique risks above and beyond directly owning shares in a privately held company so I would definitely get advice from an experienced investment advisor and/or very experienced investors before even considering it.

I am unaware of any shares available for direct investment on the secondary market. Forge and sharespost (and possibly others?) have special purpose vehicles available from time to time for accredited investors to invest in SpaceX but there are added significant risks/expenses associated with those, and minimums are usually well into the six figures or more:
I hope that the employees can get some shares, but it takes many years for getting fully vested....

So, while the $$s are large, they are less than 0.1% of Fidelity's investments. I recently bought some BPTRX.
Exactly - the Fidelity funds are not worth owning because their investment is miniscule in SpaceX compared to the size of their funds. I have already tried Google and not found anything with reasonable investment in SpaceX. Further, in the link posted it states "In late January, Fidelity and Google announced they had invested a total of $1 billion to acquire almost 10 percent of Elon Musk’s privately held reusable-rocket company. Google later disclosed its share was $900 million, leaving Fidelity with $100 million." In other words, 90% of that 1B investment came from Google and 10% from Fidelity which is spread over a number of funds. I have seen it mentioned many times that Fidelity has invested in SpaceX, but that is very misleading as the investment is quite small for the size of Fidelity. For me, not worth investing in these as 99% of my investment would be in non-SpaceX stocks.

I already have the two Baron funds in my 401K - but they each have 5% or less investment in SpaceX. I don't mind those, because they have another 10-15% in TSLA.

The reason for question here was mainly to see if there are other funds with more than 5% in SpaceX. Doesn't look like there are any others.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I already have the two Baron funds in my 401K - but they each have 5% or less investment in SpaceX. I don't mind those, because they have another 10-15% in TSLA.
Yesterday, I opened up a small position in BPTRX (Baron Partners Fund Retail Shares) after giving up, for the time being, on being able to directly invest in SpaceX. BPTRX appears to be a strong fund in general, judging by the other stocks it holds and its returns. For one thing, it appears to have no oil company holdings. (In general, I have worked hard to minimize exposure to fossil fuels in our portfolio.) In the weeks to come, I intend to study the composition of BPTRX more carefully and possibly buy more.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW and ggies07
Yesterday, I opened up a small position in BPTRX (Baron Partners Fund Retail Shares) after giving up, for the time being, on being able to directly invest in SpaceX. BPTRX appears to be a strong fund in general, judging by the other stocks it holds and its returns. For one thing, it appears to have no oil company holdings. (In general, I have worked hard to minimize exposure to fossil fuels in our portfolio.) In the weeks to come, I intend to study the composition of BPTRX more carefully and possibly buy more.
Please report back. I saw a major cruise line in there (small share) but more importantly hotels, which I expect will tank along with most stocks because of the coronavirus. This fund may stay/become more affordable in the near term. Buying opportunity!

Last edited:
Post here if you find more info or more funds that can invest in SpaceX.
My bonus payout is first week of March, planning to put 20% of it directly in my 401K Brokeragelink to be invested in the following. These have dropped quite a bit over the last few days, so should be at a good price for investing.
Product detail | Baron
Product detail | Baron
Product detail | Baron

Post here if you find more info or more funds that can invest in SpaceX.
My bonus payout is first week of March, planning to put 20% of it directly in my 401K Brokeragelink to be invested in the following. These have dropped quite a bit over the last few days, so should be at a good price for investing.
Product detail | Baron
Product detail | Baron
Product detail | Baron
I did just a tad more research via the SEC EDGAR system. Here are the most recent NPORT-P filings for the three funds you listed, BPTRX, BFGFX, and BWBFX. They include lists of the holdings in those funds as of 2019/12/31. You can find "Space Exploration Technologies" disclosed as a holding in BPTRX and BFGFX, and not in BWBFX. Unfortunately, SpaceX shares only comprised 2.3% of BPTRX and 1.6% of BFGFX as of Dec. 31. I had been hoping to find SpaceX at closer to 5%, but with growth in other holdings combined with capital inflows, it shouldn't be all that surprising that the SpaceX percentage has dropped.

BPTRX: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...2420039670/xslFormNPORT-P_X01/primary_doc.xml
BFGFX: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...2420040491/xslFormNPORT-P_X01/primary_doc.xml
BWBFX: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...2420039682/xslFormNPORT-P_X01/primary_doc.xml

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and MP3Mike
I did just a tad more research via the SEC EDGAR system. Here are the most recent NPORT-P filings for the three funds you listed, BPTRX, BFGFX, and BWBFX. They include lists of the holdings in those funds as of 2019/12/31. You can find "Space Exploration Technologies" disclosed as a holding in BPTRX and BFGFX, and not in BWBFX. Unfortunately, SpaceX shares only comprised 2.3% of BPTRX and 1.6% of BFGFX as of Dec. 31. I had been hoping to find SpaceX at closer to 5%, but with growth in other holdings combined with capital inflows, it shouldn't be all that surprising that the SpaceX percentage has dropped.

BPTRX: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...2420039670/xslFormNPORT-P_X01/primary_doc.xml
BFGFX: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...2420040491/xslFormNPORT-P_X01/primary_doc.xml
BWBFX: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...2420039682/xslFormNPORT-P_X01/primary_doc.xml

Thanks for checking into this.

That is disappointing, I was hoping they at least had close to 5%. The third fund is a 'Fund of Funds' so invests in several of the other funds. I expected the SpaceX investment to be lower in that, since they are just investing in it indirectly.

Unfortunately, it looks like these are the only funds with SpaceX that regular folks like me can invest in. Buying any stock in SpaceX is almost impossible. No other funds seem to have any significant level of investment, these look like the highest numbers. I have looked quite a bit, nothing else that can be easily available for us to invest.

If folks find something else, it would be good to get some more info.

Unfortunately, SpaceX shares only comprised 2.3% of BPTRX
I have to apologize for providing some misinformation here. Looking more closely at the BPTRX holdings as of Dec. 31, one can see that there are actually multiple categories of SpaceX stock (which I hadn't noticed), and the total actually adds up to 5.15% of the fund. By the way, TD Ameritrade also fails to show SpaceX among the top ten holdings of BPTRX, even though it outranks both Charles Schwab (SCHW) and Guidewire Software (GWRE) which were at 5.06% and 4.85%, respectively, on Dec. 31.

Security: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES
Shares: 311111
Value: 62943977.52
Percent value: 2.307561828494

Security: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CLASS I SHARES
Shares: 131657
Value: 26636844.24
Percent value: 0.976521780503

Security: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CLASS C COMMON STOCK
Shares: 30221
Value: 6114312.72
Percent value: 0.224154163687