Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX launching two “demo sats” in a few months, begin constellation deployment in 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

(I’ve compiled this from reddit and twitter posts made by people who watched the FCC hearing, see https://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/hearings?ID=C77B42B7-8EB3-4BD1-B309-0AC311639DAB
Also see
SpaceX's Patricia Cooper: 2 demo sats launching in next few months, then constellation deployment in 2019. Can start service w/ ~800 sats. • r/spacex

SpaceX's Patricia Cooper: 2 demo sats launching in next few months, then constellation deployment in 2019. Can start service w/ ~800 sats.

The constellation will have 20 sats visible at any time everywhere over US territory.

SpaceX is designing the sats to be able to maneuver thousands of times over the course of their lifetime.

SpaceX is not seeking outside investment for their sat constellation.

Exciting news!

I don’t know if the two demo Starlink sats will be part of the first FH launch, but I’m doubtful that will be the case. Elon has publicly mused about that the likelihood of of a RUD during that launch is significant. I would not think he would risk those two sats on the first FH launch.

I do wonder how many of those sats could be fitted into an F9 payload fairing and sent to LEO. The sats are pretty small, in the “small-sat” class so likely less than 500kg each. The F9 “expendable” payload to LEO is 22,800kg but it seems obvious that SpaceX would do stage recoveries on their Starlink sat launches. Perhaps they could launch 15 sats at a time and recover the stage?

Maybe it would make more sense and be more cost effective to launch the sats on an FH which I think can lift 53,000kg to LEO. So maybe 30+ sats per launch?

It will take a lot of launches to complete the 4,425 constellation!

I do wonder how many of those sats could be fitted into an F9 payload fairing and sent to LEO. The sats are pretty small, in the “small-sat” class so likely less than 500kg each.

Maybe it would make more sense and be more cost effective to launch the sats on an FH which I think can lift 53,000kg to LEO. So maybe 30+ sats per launch?

Based on your rough numbers (500kg/ sat, 53,000kg capacity), wouldn't it be 100+ satellites per FH launch? .

Correct. Total math failure on my end. :(

So “only” about 44 FH flights to go...wow.

Will FH be around long enough? Or will it be lapped by BFR+BFSatellite 2nd stage? Unless they get FH 2nd stage to full reusability, that's a lot of extra cost. Still need as many launches as orbital paths (or fewer sats and more 2nd stage maneuvering fuel?)

In the presentation of the BFR Elon has shown that a F9 launch per kg is cheaper than FH, meaning that it's better to launch F9 in you don't really need that capacity. ( and of course, small sat doesn't need it )
So, if you really can't launch with F9, then it's ok to launch with FH, else it makes no sense.

Of course untuil BFR is in the game, then all should be launched with BFR

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and mongo
My family really needs this! The cell service at our house REALLY stinks. ATT, Verizon, etc... all stink here. Even the guys walking around with cell boosters can’t get signal. Can’t wait for the day that SpaceX is providing granular WiFi or LTE or whatever, so my radio stream doesn’t cut out and GPS nav is more accurate.

Easy question. Will SpaceX be manufacturing the Starling satellites or contracting that out to one of the experienced satellite companies?
I'd guess the former, but I haven't seen anything so far that says they are building in house.

Easy question. Will SpaceX be manufacturing the Starling satellites or contracting that out to one of the experienced satellite companies?
I'd guess the former, but I haven't seen anything so far that says they are building in house.
I am certain Tesla will be building the sats themselves. I believe Elon has mused publicly about the sats being built rapidly on a production line to lower costs.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Based on your rough numbers (500kg/ sat, 53,000kg capacity), wouldn't it be 100+ satellites per FH launch? .
What's the volumetric size of these things? Could you even fit 100 of these things inside the fairing? And I assume we'd also need to subtract out the mass of the "tree" thing that they all attach to and are deployed from, like the Iridium launches that pop lots of satellites out at once.