Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX plans ocean platform landing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great video! Why did Elon say there was no good video?

This is likely a local (non-broadcasting) camera. The comment was made based on the camera(s) they had that would have been transmitting the signal back to SpaceX which I assume those were the terribly dark/foggy ones. It is quite pricey to have a ton of cameras broadcasting live, but far less pricey to have only one or two live and the rest local. Since this camera was not in any way damaged by the landing, and in a good position to not be obscured by the fog/darkness it was able to be provided to people.

Just a guess. But makes the most sense.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that at the time (the day of the landing) they didn't have the video. That video we see now probably wasn't being transmitted in real time. They probably had to wait for the ship to get back to shore, and then extract the video from the camera.

Ha! Beat me to it! what he said!

Fantastic video. You can easily see where things went wrong. The grid fin failure meant they were forced to adjust their flight by tilting the rocket which apparently worked for hitting the target. Of course that meant that it was a lost cause for landing. SpaceX was on target for the landing platform which is a huge win since that was the most difficult aspect to achieve.

Fantastic video. You can easily see where things went wrong. The grid fin failure meant they were forced to adjust their flight by tilting the rocket which apparently worked for hitting the target. Of course that meant that it was a lost cause for landing. SpaceX was on target for the landing platform which is a huge win since that was the most difficult aspect to achieve.

I would presume it wasn't someone at SpaceX piloting the rocket, it was software. I would imagine the computer is programmed to get the rocket in the right location no matter kind of failure scenarios it is running into. So the gimbled tail rockets were used to steer the stage when the fins stopped working as they should.

Man, as a software guy, I would love to be part of the rocket guidance and control software team. What a dream job!

That video just made my day!

All the questions I had have already been answered by others, but I'll second the comment that had they a bit more hydraulic fluid, they would have had it. Unbelievable that it came that close from gimballing alone, although I suppose the rockets do most of the work at lower speeds where the fins don't work as well.

Does anybody know if this Falcon does controlled burn like Grasshopper at some moderate altitude in line with the remaining fuel, or more like the first video we saw where the burn occurs seconds before H = 0?