Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX plans ocean platform landing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's a joke. (well, I mean obviously it is a cheeky name, but I mean it is not a practical joke) The name is a reference to The Culture series of sci fi novels, whose author recently died. It's a tribute to him. The photo Elon shared may have been a photoshop mockup of what they plan on doing, but was not the real thing. Some people on reddit claim they have seen people laying down stencils on the deck of the ASDS via a cruiseliner webcam.

edit: whoa, spooky how doug and I wrote the same thing at the same time! lol

Last edited:
Not quite. It isn't the added weight that will double the dynamic pressure on the 1st stage fly back, it is the much steeper trajectory due to the primary mission.

With a steeper trajectory, does that mean the ASDS will be located much closer to land?

Losing an entire burn will definitely make the landing much harder to "stick."

This will be exciting. I really hope they pull it off with this one.

This will be exciting. I really hope they pull it off with this one.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Eventually, they will.

cigarhand.jpg

So cool! I am glad to see this happen :D

- - - Updated - - -

Looking over the wiki page on the various launch sites I never realized that of the 40 something sites only 3 are active with the rest just sitting there doing nothing... It is quite depressing how much we have pulled back on shooting stuff into the sky (granted a lot of that testing was military based testing... but still) Here is hoping for a future that sees the Cape return to its full former glory!

Does anyone know when will the next landing attempt take place? March, early April? I've googled it, but I haven't found any detail on the Dragon V2's pad abort test. When will that be?
Hope today's landing will be a succes though.