Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History Making First Recovery for SpaceX - Orbcomm-2 Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Orbcomm-2 booster is back at Launch Complex 40:
floridatoday.com/spacex-poised-fire-landed-falcon-rockets-engines
12534179_194127050940899_120464701_n.jpg

Successful static fire test of the returned stage with a variance:

SpaceX fire up returned Falcon 9 first stage at SLC-40 | NASASpaceFlight.com

Twitter from Elon of results: “Conducted hold-down firing of returned Falcon rocket. Data looks good overall, but engine 9 showed thrust fluctuations. Maybe some debris ingestion. Engine data looks ok. Will borescope tonight. This is one of the outer engines.”

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
For anyone in the LA area that's interested, the Falcon 9 from this launch is back at Space X in Hawthorne. Sorry if this has been mentioned on the forums already, I just searched for this particular thread to post it. You can see it best driving east on Jack Northrop, just south of the airport along Space X's west campus. You can't see it along the sidewalk due to a blacked out fence. I did find a couple areas where I could sneak my cell phone past the tarp on the fence and snapped a couple great photos, but beware of security everywhere. Pretty dang awesome to see tho!

For anyone in the LA area that's interested, the Falcon 9 from this launch is back at Space X in Hawthorne. Sorry if this has been mentioned on the forums already, I just searched for this particular thread to post it. You can see it best driving east on Jack Northrop, just south of the airport along Space X's west campus. You can't see it along the sidewalk due to a blacked out fence. I did find a couple areas where I could sneak my cell phone past the tarp on the fence and snapped a couple great photos, but beware of security everywhere. Pretty dang awesome to see tho!

Awesome pictures! SpaceX has gotten approval from the FAA to stand the rocket up but hasn't actually done it yet. The top will have a flashing light to let airplanes know to avoiding hitting the very tall booster. SpaceX is very near the Hawthorne airport. It's possible they are waiting on other permits before they can stand it up.

I hope they put landing legs on it. It would emphasize the achievement that rocket accomplished. I'm pretty sure the engines are dummies at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Awesome pictures! SpaceX has gotten approval from the FAA to stand the rocket up but hasn't actually done it yet. The top will have a flashing light to let airplanes know to avoiding hitting the very tall booster. SpaceX is very near the Hawthorne airport. It's possible they are waiting on other permits before they can stand it up.

I hope they put landing legs on it. It would emphasize the achievement that rocket accomplished. I'm pretty sure the engines are dummies at this point.

SpaceX displays Falcon 9 rocket as monument outside of HQ in Hawthorne, CA

Here ya go... Looks like they did put the landing legs back on, gonna drive by this week to check it out myself.

Reactions: mach.89
It's been two years.
SpaceX (@SpaceX) | Twitter
Two years ago today, Falcon 9 delivered 11 Orbcomm satellites to low-Earth orbit followed by the first successful orbital class rocket booster landing. To date, SpaceX has landed 20 boosters—12 on droneships and 8 on land—and flown 4 missions on flight-proven boosters.

Here's the video reminder of that historic moment:

Absolutely. I was so thrilled i called some half a dozen people whoever I could reach at that time, and told them about the landing. None of them cared. sigh.
I have a similar experience when talking to people I know about SpaceX. A small fraction of the people I talk to get excited. Another minor fraction show some mild interest. But I would say the majority show no interest at all. This is incomprehensible to me. The mission of SpaceX is to change the course of human history in the most significant way since the invention of the first crude stone tool, in my opinion. Even if ultimately a Martian colony fails, we will learn so much in the process that we will be prepared to try another off-Earth colony somewhere else, one that may well succeed, whether on another planetary body, a moon, an asteroid, or in orbit somewhere.

Same here. I can't find anyone in my immediate group of friends, nay, any group of people I have regular contact with, to have a conversation about SpaceX. I can see their eyes glaze over so I move on. Thank God for this group!

Reactions: Nikxice
Same here. I can't find anyone in my immediate group of friends, nay, any group of people I have regular contact with, to have a conversation about SpaceX. I can see their eyes glaze over so I move on. Thank God for this group!

There's a lot of feeling of "What's the point?"
Talking about plans to go to Mars won't excite many people. To be honest, I'm really not that excited about going to Mars. What excites me is what it would mean for global telecommunications to have cheap access to space. StarLink is the _really_ interesting project.

Reactions: mongo and StephenM
There's a lot of feeling of "What's the point?"
Talking about plans to go to Mars won't excite many people. To be honest, I'm really not that excited about going to Mars. What excites me is what it would mean for global telecommunications to have cheap access to space. StarLink is the _really_ interesting project.
Short term, StarLink is indeed the SpaceX effort more likely to directly impact the average person, so from that standpoint I can see the more immediate interest. I think of it as a tactical initiative.

Long term, not only enabling human travel to another planet (not just our local satellite), but perhaps the initial steps at colonizing another world are far more exciting than simply building more efficient away to move IP packets from point A to point B. It's the strategic initiative.

• Love
Reactions: StephenM