Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX SN11 Experimental Test Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only this time it doesn't seem to have made it even to the ground. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

The fire that seemed to be raging above the three Merlin engines was most interesting. Can't help but wonder if that caused a problem.
It made it to the ground, just not in one piece.

Only this time it doesn't seem to have made it even to the ground. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

The fire that seemed to be raging above the three Merlin engines was most interesting. Can't help but wonder if that caused a problem.
Merlin engines typically perform like wizards. Raptors need tweaking to be tamed, lest they disembowel their victims.;)

1617118363269.png

I scrubbed thru the video again.. i don't see any raging fire above the engines?

Reactions: scaesare
"People attempting to watch the launch from the southern tip of South Padre Island reported finding lightweight debris,"
Wow, that is less than ideal.
As long as no one was hurt by debris then SpaceX should weather the (ahem) fallout. The timing isn't good with the competitors pet politicians taking a shot at SpaceX just before this happened though.

Reactions: e-FTW
Lacking clear video evidence at the moment of SN11's RUD, even Scott Manley is left scratching his head about the cause. Scott does explain a couple of possible scenarios. Interestingly, his sources have told him that the Flight Termination System wasn't activated, yet I sensed some skepticism whereby he hasn't completely ruled it out.

Reactions: Grendal
The evidence says it was a full blown explosion. Scott makes some excellent conclusions on what evidence we should see in various alternative types of explosions. His skepticism that the FTS wasn't triggered makes sense based on the evidence. We'll see what SpaceX lets us know but it was definitely a full blown airborne explosion just after the engines fired for the landing flip. Hopefully SpaceX has a good idea or knows what went wrong.

Reactions: petit_bateau
The evidence says it was a full blown explosion. Scott makes some excellent conclusions on what evidence we should see in various alternative types of explosions. His skepticism that the FTS wasn't triggered makes sense based on the evidence. We'll see what SpaceX lets us know but it was definitely a full blown airborne explosion just after the engines fired for the landing flip. Hopefully SpaceX has a good idea or knows what went wrong.
It seems to me like the explosive disassembly must have occurred whilst the vehicle was more horizontal than vertical. At least that would account for the spacing of the engines vs the nosecone, with a disintegrating bit in the middle. Given the upwards and/or lateral trajectory of some of the debris as seen in the cameras I suspect that some explosive events took place in the air, but others on the ground. Just my 2euc :)

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
While the previous flights and crashes seemed par for the course for the innovation SpaceX is pushing, but this one somehow feels like a wasted opportunity, more due to hubris, lack of attention and a simple rush to get things moving to keep the launch cadence going. Just a gut feel.

For example, its not sure why they would press forward launching on a zero visibility day? I understand you get telemetry and that is the most important data, but a visual also adds a lot of value in an aftermath like this, by helping you reinforce your conclusions you make out of telemetry data. SpaceX has some of the smartest engineers, but this launch looks like was done in haste.

While the previous flights and crashes seemed par for the course for the innovation SpaceX is pushing, but this one somehow feels like a wasted opportunity, more due to hubris, lack of attention and a simple rush to get things moving to keep the launch cadence going. Just a gut feel.

For example, its not sure why they would press forward launching on a zero visibility day? I understand you get telemetry and that is the most important data, but a visual also adds a lot of value in an aftermath like this, by helping you reinforce your conclusions you make out of telemetry data. SpaceX has some of the smartest engineers, but this launch looks like was done in haste.
SpaceX is trying to get work done. The show is a bonus.