Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX/Starlink market discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True but in this case the customer is going to have to buy a steerable phased array sat dish receiver that has custom chips designed by tesla and that will keep the pentagon out as a client until the security is checked out. That leaves Telco's and HNWs ships, commercial ships, etc as clients. Not a huge market but they'll need to get 1000 up so as to have coverage over target latitudes 20-40. Then they add capacity to attract more customers.

They'll have to get that receiver costs way down though. It might be better but if that box costs too much (and that is a pricey bitch right now) it will prevent adoption.

That ground end user terminal array is likely very similar to the arrays on the satellites, so mass production for cost reduction.

Interesting he would skip launch today to be in Berlin. If just exploring possible gf4 could have waited a day? Possible top politicians have schedule he would have to adhere to?

It's not like Elon is at the Cape or Vandenberg for every launch. Off site is off site.

My question is when the sat fleet will be big enough to be used, at least internally at SpaceX/Tesla.

It sounds mad, but it looks like SpaceX is planning to launch as many satellites in 2020 as the total number of operational satellites currently in orbit.

This should be enough for full global coverage. However, they may prioritise the initial orbits to provide increased bandwidth to the US rather than global coverage.

It sounds mad, but it looks like SpaceX is planning to launch as many satellites in 2020 as the total number of operational satellites currently in orbit.

This should be enough for full global coverage. However, they may prioritise the initial orbits to provide increased bandwidth to the US rather than global coverage.

On the launch live coverage, it was mentioned N.America and Canada by 2020 .

That ground end user terminal array is likely very similar to the arrays on the satellites, so mass production for cost reduction.

Yes but that is like...1000 dish's. That's a pretty darn small run for electronic components.

It's not like Elon is at the Cape or Vandenberg for every launch. Off site is off site.

You know they are supposed to get to almost a launch a week so yeah..he can't be there for everyone and heck, he can watch live.

My question is when the sat fleet will be big enough to be used, at least internally at SpaceX/Tesla.
Musk has been asked before if Tesla cars would be able to connect to Starlink. He chuckled and said no because the antenna is a big ugle pizza box.

Frankly I would be ok with a big ugly pizza box of an antenna on my trunk if it meant that I would get unlimited internet. But it appears that this is not an out of the box option for Tesla cars.

Reactions: aubreymcfato

Enough to shade the planet and cool it a bit?

Musk has been asked before if Tesla cars would be able to connect to Starlink. He chuckled and said no because the antenna is a big ugle pizza box.

Frankly I would be ok with a big ugly pizza box of an antenna on my trunk if it meant that I would get unlimited internet. But it appears that this is not an out of the box option for Tesla cars.

Right, I remembered it. My question was more Tesla-as-a-firm, they must consume a whole lot of interenet with 40k employes, bots, headquarters etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

I believe the initial limit to Starlink deployment will be ground stations and frequency allocations/permits, not orbits: if the orbits cover North America, then they necessarily offer similar coverage in most of Europe and in much of Asia as well, due to orbital mechanics and the rotation of Earth.

Australia and the non-equatorial regions of Africa and South America can be served as well, once ground stations and frequency permits are established.

Initial Starlink coverage will be spotty in equatorial regions (<25° latitude), and higher than ~60° latitudes.

Last edited:

Cybertruck will be connected haha

You know they are supposed to get to almost a launch a week so yeah..he can't be there for everyone and heck, he can watch live.

Soon, Elon will be able to watch Starlink launches via Starlink.

I believe the initial limit will be ground stations, not orbits: if the orbits cover North America, then they necessarily offer similar coverage in most of Europe and in much of Asia as well, due to orbital mechanics and the rotation of Earth.

Australia and the non-equatorial regions of Africa and South America as well.

Initial coverage will be spotty in equatorial regions (<25° latitude), and higher than ~60° latitudes.

That's where the sat to sat links come in. Can skip ground (back haul) stations entirely if you are going from User station to User station.

OT
SpaceX should seriously prepare for space mining. They have solved the most difficult piece of the puzzle, the rest is relatively easy, could be done in three years. The potential in this area is many times larger than the entire internet services business in the world. In this case Elon/SpaceX should prepare to accumulate Tesla shares, because they literally will have ship load of money keeps coming.
No. Nope nope nope. Nopety-nopety-nope-nope. Just nope.

I'm pretty sure there are at least another 250 more very, very difficult puzzle pieces to go, and there's like FSD-squared worth of innovations, programming, and especially physical stuff including material handling to design and manufacture first.

True, but if he mounted live cams on each starlink, you'd have near real-time road conditions (expensive aftermarket to add the cams later).

I had visions in my younger years of having enough info so you could pass someone even on a hill or blind turn... if only you could see from above.

It is possible, no? We're talking near zero latency. No car antenna needed, Starlink ground servers could feed the road data to your car - no special antenna.

so check out the casyhandmer.wordpress.com blog for an interesting take on this. In summary, space mining doesn't make sense if products go back to earth. Earth is cheaper source of resources.

Sorry this is seriously OT. I will not post more on space mining after this post. It's related to TSLA because SpaceX's market cap can affect Elon's wealth by a lot.

Use metal XYZ as example, it's at $900 per oz on earth. At planning phase, don't tell people you are going to mine XYZ in space. In the mean time buy Puts of all the mining stocks that has XYZ as their main product, also buy Puts on the metal itself. Then you go to space bring back 1000 tons of XYZ. At this point, you should get huge profit from those financial positions. If XYZ refuse to go down, you can sell the 1000 tons of XYZ, which would worth $31.7B in 10 Starship loads. Each starship mission will cost less than $20m.

Also SpaceX should consider to build a space city for tourism. They have achieved the holy grail in space technology. They are on track to reduce launch cost to 0.1% compared to traditional space industry. They will be able to rapidly send 10,000 ton of material into space at very low cost. I hope they don't waste the opportunity.

True, but if he mounted live cams on each starlink, you'd have near real-time road conditions (expensive aftermarket to add the cams later).

I had visions in my younger years of having enough info so you could pass someone even on a hill or blind turn... if only you could see from above.

It is possible, no? We're talking near zero latency. No car antenna needed, Starlink ground servers could feed the road data to your car - no special antenna.

I don't know about all that - night time, clouds, bad weather, tree coverage - but I did wonder about flash LIDAR mounted on the satellites for near real time 3D imaging like:

Ball Aerospace - Laser/LIDAR Instruments

Maybe not cost effective or practical now, but perhaps in future generations. Imagine real time Google Earth style visible AND 3D imagery of the entire planet for a host of uses by government and commercial entities...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wipster
I don't know about all that - night time, clouds, bad weather, tree coverage - but I did wonder about flash LIDAR mounted on the satellites for near real time 3D imaging like:

Ball Aerospace - Laser/LIDAR Instruments

Maybe not cost effective or practical now, but maybe in future generations. Imagine real time Google Earth visible and 3D imagery of the entire planet for a host of uses by government and commercial entities...

There is a lot about this on reddit actually in case others are interested. EOT...
What are the chances the starlink satellites have cameras? : SpaceXLounge