Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Orbital Test Flight - Starbase TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch Date: April 20
Launch Window: 8:28am CDT (6:28am PDT, 13:28 UTC) - 62 minute window
Launch site: LC-1? - Starbase, Boca Chica Beach, Texas
Core Booster Recovery: Expended in Gulf
Starship Recovery: Water landing near Hawaii
Booster: Super Heavy Booster 7
Starship: Starship 24
Mass: No mass simulator mentioned
Orbit: LEO-ish
Yearly Launch Number: 26

A SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship launch vehicle will launch on its first orbital test flight. The mission will attempt to travel around the world for nearly one full orbit, resulting in a re-entry and splashdown of the Starship near Hawaii.

Webcast:

Attachments

• 114D7452-0A1B-4E20-96D8-03070063E31C.jpeg
    114D7452-0A1B-4E20-96D8-03070063E31C.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,100
Last edited:
Launch Date: NET April 10
Launch Window: 8:10 a.m. CDT (9:10 a.m. EDT;1310 GMT) - 8 hour window
Launch site: LC-1? - Starbase, Boca Chica Beach, Texas
Core Booster Recovery: Expended in Gulf
Starship Recovery: Water landing near Hawaii
Booster: Super Heavy Booster 7
Starship: Starship 24
Mass:
Orbit: LEO
Yearly Launch Number: 23

A SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship launch vehicle will launch on its first orbital test flight. The mission will attempt to travel around the world for nearly one full orbit, resulting in a re-entry and splashdown of the Starship near Hawaii.

339006357_704642524746332_2271455135476657032_n.jpg
Since we're all the technical types...
I think the launch window is under 4 hours long, 1310Z-1710Z or 8:10am-12:10pm CDT (combining FAA and marine). The longer time block on the Gulf warning includes fueling. Pacific starts at fueling and runs for 100 minutes after end of launch window (transit time).
Current Operations Plan Advisory

Typically Tesla will give this launch a huge test of how it can generate tremendous power and remain controllable curing flight. Elon will fully accept that it may end tragically, but generate data that will allow a more successful one later. Test units totally expendable. They will learn as much as they can, even it it fails or succeeds. Imaging Chop Stick return to base landing will come later. This test will be a step towards that.

Tesla can now make these Falcon boosters quick enough and cheap enough to allow these types of flights.

Reactions: unk45 and Grendal
Typically Tesla will give this launch a huge test of how it can generate tremendous power and remain controllable curing flight. Elon will fully accept that it may end tragically, but generate data that will allow a more successful one later. Test units totally expendable. They will learn as much as they can, even it it fails or succeeds. Imaging Chop Stick return to base landing will come later. This test will be a step towards that.

Tesla can now make these Falcon boosters quick enough and cheap enough to allow these types of flights.
s/Tesla/SpaceX
s/Falcon/Super Heavy

This Cameron County beach closure notice says that the beach will be closed April 10/11/12 for “SpaceX non-flight testing activities”.

It appears that Starship will not launch on those dates.
From what I've been able to find, SpaceX has a longer lead time requirement for road closures in general (2 ish weeks) than for flight notices (3-7 days). So, it seems possible to upgrade the closure.
However, Eric B says a couple of his sources have said the 10th isn't happening.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
From what I've been able to find, SpaceX has a longer lead time requirement for road closures in general (2 ish weeks) than for flight notices (3-7 days). So, it seems possible to upgrade the closure.
However, Eric B says a couple of his sources have said the 10th isn't happening.
I fully expect the actual launch date to change. I will update the first post as adjustments are made. Lots of prep testing before the button is pushed is what I am expecting.

Also, I broke off the orbital versus sub-orbital discussion onto a separate thread. The title here will remain as it is because everyone else is calling it that whether it is 100% accurate or not.

Last edited: